Heads Up Everybody,... General Strike On For March 31.

D.B. Cooper

Registered
Just in case you've made plans for next Tuesday, be aware that a general strike is for the whole country.
No trains, no planes, no subte, no buses, no banks. Basically everything shuts down.

http://www.ieco.clarin.com/economia/Ganancias-Paro-Transporte-CGT-Moyano_0_1327667249.html

The major unions are demanding for the minimum salary that is exempt from paying income tax to be raised from $15,000/month to $40,000.

This is a longstanding demand from the Workers Party (PO), which for years has been calling for the minimum to be equal to 3 times the canasta familiar (roughly $27,000).

Meanwhile, FinMin Kiciloff fired back, saying that the union leaders are using the income tax exemption as a "fetish", since it only affects the top 11% of wage earners.

The major unions are demanding for the minimum salary that is exempt from paying income tax to be raised from $15,000/month to $40,000.

This is a longstanding demand from the Workers Party (PO), which for years has been calling for the minimum to be equal to 3 times the canasta familiar (roughly $27,000).

Meanwhile, FinMin Kiciloff fired back, saying that the union leaders are using the income tax exemption as a "fetish", since it only affects the top 11% of wage earners.

Is 27,000 really the average family budget? I earn dollars and pull in more than that, but I know of no Argentine's who are earning that in the normal sized group of people I know from this country. In fact, most are no where near that.

Read it again: 3 times the canasta familiar (the basket of goods purchased by the average family per month, i.e., $9,000)

$9,000 x 3 = $27,000

Furthermore, the Partido Obrero specifies that it should be the canasta as calculated by the unions, not the government or owners.

And to put this in perspective:

Minimum wage is $4400.

Current exemption for up to $15,000

The PO is demanding up to $27,000 be tax exempt.

The strike organisers are demanding up to $40,000 be exempt.

Remember the old slogan when HE was running for preisdent "un pais en serio"? what a joke! On top of all of the bs issued by this populist government, we have more holiday than any other country I know; I think this year its 19 NOT INCLUDING the famous "puentes"! and one expects to be competative with all the other tools thrown into the works? Let's get real!

I was talking to a taxi driver the other day who is also a college professor and has a radio program. I asked him if he thought there were too many holidays in Argentina. His reply, "By no means! Why should we work ourselves to death. Life is to enjoy. Nobody thinks there are too many holidays."

By gosh, he may just have something there.

The tax code needs a complete overhaul short term fixes are not a solution

The most egrigious aspect of the current tax code is a result of previous negotiations with organized labor .

Let's also tell the facts like they are: there are many workers who are paid for the days they work so every forced day is a day of pay less. A friend of mine who works for a well-known Argentine company in a upper management position told me if she doesn't show up for work work on 31 March because she cant get there, she is docked a day; and many people who work in the plant who live hours and train rides away will get docked and thus not paid! She said some find some place WHEREVER THEY CAN to not go home as to not miss the day which they otherwise would lose since they could never get there! Tax reform isn't the only thing to be fixed here!

Back