Heads Up Everybody,... General Strike On For March 31.

I was talking to a taxi driver the other day who is also a college professor and has a radio program. I asked him if he thought there were too many holidays in Argentina. His reply, "By no means! Why should we work ourselves to death. Life is to enjoy. Nobody thinks there are too many holidays."

By gosh, he may just have something there.

I know this is somewhat off-topic and not completely related to your encounter (except mine was a taxi too), but your post made me remember a taxi ride I took with a friend who was visiting from the States a few weeks ago.

It was about 2100, raining, and the cab driver was complaining about Argentina in English after he'd heard us having a conversation in English. He told us he is a biochemist (he was about 45 or so) who can't find work in his profession here because of the anti-business policies of the government and has to drive a cab. Of course, I agreed with him that business sucks here, let him know I'd lived here the last 8+ years, had tried to do business, and didn't see any changes coming quickly.

He then went on to tell us how the taxi drivers here are such "aprovechadores". That they will get a foreigner in the cab when it's raining, if one can find a cab, and will then charge $400 pesos for a ride for which the destination is just ten blocks away. I didn't say anything - I'd never had such an encounter in my time here with a cabbie in the rain, although I've had other stupidities come up. Just kind of nodded my head and kept quiet.

We arrived at our destination and he said "now see, I'm such a good guy, I'm only going to ask you for 100 pesos." I looked at the meter. 32 pesos and change. We'd gone about 15 blocks. I looked at him and could tell he was serious. I laughed and handed him a 10, a 20 and a 2 and told him I didn't have any coins and left. Normally I would have given him 35 pesos and told him to keep the change.

Today, I took two of my girls to change some money and go eat at TGI Friday (one of their favorite places). The waitress actually gave pretty good service (which is rare for TGIF in Recoleta Shopping at least), although she was obviously in a bad mood and barely even opened her mouth when talking, she seemed so depressed. She handed me the ticket and then said "note that the service is not included in the price on the ticket. The service is ten percent." I was actually stunned. I've had people mention that service is not included in the price in one other place - the Hard Rock. But they've never even suggested to me what the percentage should be. If I like the service, I usually leave 10 percent anyway, but not this time. I can't imagine that she would have suggested this to an Argentino and I guess I wasn't in the mood to be taken advantage of because I speak Spanish with an accent.

I mention all this because it does kind of tie into the reasons given for the general strike coming up. People here want something for nothing and things aren't going to change until people realize you have to work for what you get. If you don't want much, don't work much, that's OK with me, but don't expect a lot either and sure as hell don't try to take it from me because I'm seen as an easy mark because I have an accent and dress well (at least when I go out to eat).

I completely agree with what Esteban had said earlier in another post somewhere - things here aren't going to change, no matter how many people rant against the corruption and other crap that goes on, until the individuals themselves change.

I was talking to a taxi driver the other day who is also a college professor and has a radio program. I asked him if he thought there were too many holidays in Argentina. His reply, "By no means! Why should we work ourselves to death. Life is to enjoy. Nobody thinks there are too many holidays."

By gosh, he may just have something there.

If the ceiling of my life was as limited as it would be or have been in Argentina I would have the same attitude. Why bother I am doomed to poverty anyway. And they do not even have the capacity to imagine anything but the Argentine life which makes it even more understandable. I worked myself into a great life they cannot even comprehend such a vision for life.

If the ceiling of my life was as limited as it would be or have been in Argentina I would have the same attitude. Why bother I am doomed to poverty anyway. And they do not even have the capacity to imagine anything but the Argentine life which makes it even more understandable. I worked myself into a great life they cannot even comprehend such a vision for life.

Your negative view of life in Argentina is not shared by all. The taxi driver I quoted was 65 and will be retiring soon. He seemed very happy with his life and said he could have retired at 58 had he chosen to since he had the aportes to do so. He had traveled all over the world as a sports journalist and likes his country just fine.

All is a matter of perspective though as one man's paradise is another man's hell.

Remember the old slogan when HE was running for preisdent "un pais en serio"? what a joke! On top of all of the bs issued by this populist government, we have more holiday than any other country I know; I think this year its 19 NOT INCLUDING the famous "puentes"! and one expects to be competative with all the other tools thrown into the works? Let's get real!

Argentine workers actually have less holiday than in many countries. They have an absurd number of national holidays, but the annual leave entitlement is outrageously low compared to European standards (in the first five years in a job here, you have 10 days holiday entitlement - in the UK the minimum entitlement is 28 days, almost three times as much). The high number of national holidays makes it up to almost the same amount of holiday as in the UK, the difference being that here the government decides when you get to have a holiday rather than letting people take holidays when they wish.

And all people are on holiday at the same time, which is obviously a great idea... Also, while the annual leave is low at the start of your career, it can get significantly more days per year depending on how many years you worked for the company.

Back