Health Insurance? Rates for foreigners?

Also- is that really the conversion from pesos to USD?? That's one thing I have not been able to pin down is how far my USD will take me in Argentina.

RayMorg said:
Also- is that really the conversion from pesos to USD?? That's one thing I have not been able to pin down is how far my USD will take me in Argentina.

Those are two quite different questions. Yes, the USD is approaching 4:1 with the ARS - take a look at the history on this page http://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/ if you are interested. No, that won't give you any indication about how far your USD will go. Some things will probably seem very cheap in comparison with the USA - I'm guessing fresh vegetables from a roadside stall would be a good example - while things like electronics will seem sky-high. If you browse the pages of this site you'll find many examples and price comparisons to help you adjust.

i've got Osde ..a bit more expensive..450 pesos a month for the basic cover plan...it actually includes many well known clinics and hospitals.

Health care costs depend on your age and plan. But all are pretty easy to sign up for - usually you can walk in, fill out the paperwork and get covered. OSDE, Galeno and Swiss Medical are probably the top 3. A lot of expats I know have used Medicus - I believe it's cheaper than the 3 I mentioned. As well, you can get a health insurance plan through a specific hospital (aleman, britanico, etc.) which may be useful if you are going to be based in Cap Fed and don't intend to travel much throughout Argentina.

Please be assured that if you have the means you will truly receive better than 1st world service in terms of Argentine health care in Buenos Aires. The key is to look for a widely accepted plan so you arent limited to which hospitals or pharamcies accept your plan.
I have signed up for OSDE 201 for 5 years, probably one of the most widely available and best plans in BsAs and decided before having my second child to go a little extra so I could avail of the very best hospitals. I now have OSDE 310 that costs circa $900pesos per month and includes dental and medical for my husband and I and 2 children. Childhood vaccinations are covered but you need to pay upfront and then claim back..othewise it is the most smoothly run and comprehensive plan I have ever had..no limits to visits per year aka the US plans I previously had.
I have had a recurring health issue these last 2 years and decided 310 was worth it as there is little of no ( 1-5 ) mins wait for casualty/emergency treatment in Otamendi with 310.versus 1-4 hours wait at my local hospital (Italiano). The care at both is fantastic...the former looks more like a tv hospital with marble and gold fittings etc...
I would just like to stress that we are incredibly priveleged and lucky to avail of truly excellent health care at a fraction of the price paid in US, UK etc. I believe the same is true of private education although I know in previous threads the cost of private education here is a hot debate.

For me Medicus, Swiss Medical or OSDE all offer availability and comprehensive cover...best luck for the selection!

A new nurse is being shown around the clinic by a doctor. He opens the door to a room where a male patient is in bed furiously masturbating. "Doctor, what is this?" "This man has had prostate treatment, and must have five orgasms daily as therapy." In the next room, a male patient is being given oral gratification by a nurse. "And this, Doctor?" "Same circumstances, but this patient has OSDE."

Hi, all. I read the thread and found all the information provided very useful. The only thing missing is that prices change with age. My apologies if you did mention it and I missed it. I called OSDE last week for my bf's insurance and Plan 210 is 700 pesos as he is 52. So that is something to bear in mind when budgeting.

Cheers :)

I'm 47 in September so it sounds like this might be the go for me too...

yes, age and the quality of the plan are factors. The best companies have different plans. I am paying almost 900 pesos for a very good plan by one of the best medical companies. That price has soared in recent years.

Hospital Italiano prepaid plan, 34 years old, 60 USD per month more or less. Insignificant co-pays (2 USD) in some cases, partial dental for free (cavities, one crown a year, cleaning etc), basic glasses, doctor can come to your place in a maximum of 2 hours or somethinglike that, waiting in the Hospital Italiano in San Justo (outside Buenos Aires) was something like 15-30 minutes once they saw I had the prepaid plan.

OSDE is more comprehensive and covers more centers, including Hospital Italiano. HI is good if you´re based in BA,or the north or west suburbs and you don´t need the flashy clinics (Otamendi etc), because the two HI big hospitals are maybe the best in Buenos Aires. If you can afford OSDE go with it, but for less money you can have also top care taking the HI prepaid option. HI also covers travels to the interior of the country and countries around Argentina. Maybe OSDE covers more countries.

Back