Hear All About It! Massa Won,

On the other hand, is it wishful thinking to hope that Massa or whoever postulates to lead this country in 2015, will stick to their promises?
I have a pet theory that Argentines are stuck in the Stockholm Syndrome, hostages to crises if you will.
It's what you get used to.

Massa has no chance of changing anything, he will at best increase security but will have to pander to the all powerful unions unless he wants to see the country paralized. Wage increases and cost of living increases are a vicious circle. No chance for a peronist to break that cycle.

On the other hand, is it wishful thinking to hope that Massa or whoever postulates to lead this country in 2015, will stick to their promises?
I have a pet theory that Argentines are stuck in the Stockholm Syndrome, hostages to crises if you will.
It's what you get used to.

Depends which promises you mean, the ones he makes to the gremialistas, punteros, barras, caudillos, narcos, provincial feudal overlords, jefes de policia etc or the ones he makes to the electorate?

So, do we have any hope?.....he asks in a squeaky, feeble voice.

More of the same. There's not many options that won't be more of the same. The root cause of all of this is the rampant lack of morality in this country. Until that gets fixed, everything will keep marching along pretty much as it has for so long.

What do you hope for? Wholesale change? You might get some security improvements with Massa, that would be OK.

Macri might work for those of us who want more international engagement and better international commerce but i doubt he'll be doing to much for the poor...in that respect I would worry about crime under his watch, possibly. If he is serious about changing union influence there would be strikes every other week. Personally when I started work here I was told a union I was now a member of but had not asked to join had already won me a 25% pay increase. Ridiculous. Who is going to walk away from that without a fight, what does that do for productivity do you think? !

Lack of morals in pretty unfair, it's a long argument and I won't get into it, but certain behaviours are environmental. Also, not ever country which holds itself up as a bastion of morality has a real claim to do so. Applies to most first world countries.

So, do we have any hope?.....he asks in a squeaky, feeble voice.

Yes, its pretty simple really, all it will take is for the majority (significant minority??) of Argentines who not only whine about corruption, dishonesty, nepotism, and lack of respect and accountability when its convenient to them but also actually live their lives by the same code to start standing up and denouncing this behaviour whenever and wherever it is encountered in society. Then someone from their numbers to emerge who has the moral authority and charisma of, let's say, a Mandela or a Gandhi to run for office on a ticket of zero tolerance for corruption, survive the bribes, threats, smear campaigns and assassination attempts that will inevitably come from the cosily established nodes of power and corruption in the country, win the vote, dismantle aforementioned cosily established nodes of power and corruption, find something for all the out of work crooked cops and their families and associates to do that doesn't involve coming to kill their replacements or members of the government, or replacing their lost income through other crimnal activity, find a way of overhauling the judiciary that doesn't involve those who overhaul it creating a new judiciary that just serves their own needs. Then the remaining members of society that aren't among this vocal group who live their lives by some kind of moral code nor the criminal elements trying to destroy them will probably have to start honestly looking at their behaviour, the lies and hypocrisy they have lived with their whole lives and making an honest and committed attempt at improving themselves.

How does that sound?

Now go back to my post about the smurfs or you might not make it through the rest of the day.

I see all that and more.
But I think nobody expects their world to change here because of a change of faces.
The point most anti government people want is a complete change of tack.
A complete overhaul of what is poisoning this society.
The bare faced lies, hypocrisy,incompetence and social division that emanates from the top.

Yes, its pretty simple really, all it will take is for the majority (significant minority??) of Argentines who not only whine about corruption, dishonesty, nepotism, and lack of respect and accountability when its convenient to them but also actually live their lives by the same code to start standing up and denouncing this behaviour whenever and wherever it is encountered in society. Then someone from their numbers to emerge who has the moral authority and charisma of, let's say, a Mandela or a Gandhi to run for office on a ticket of zero tolerance for corruption, survive the bribes, threats, smear campaigns and assassination attempts that will inevitably come from the cosily established nodes of power and corruption in the country, win the vote, dismantle aforementioned cosily established nodes of power and corruption, find something for all the out of work crooked cops and their families and associates to do that doesn't involve coming to kill their replacements or members of the government, or replacing their lost income through other crimnal activity, find a way of overhauling the judiciary that doesn't involve those who overhaul it creating a new judiciary that just serves their own needs. Then the remaining members of society that aren't among this vocal group who live their lives by some kind of moral code nor the criminal elements trying to destroy them will probably have to start honestly looking at their behaviour, the lies and hypocrisy they have lived with their whole lives and making an honest and committed attempt at improving themselves.

How does that sound?

Now go back to my post about the smurfs or you might not make it through the rest of the day.
Give me a lousy 500 years of absolute power in Argentina, and I'll fix it.

Back