Heartworm For Dogs

tesstafarian

Registered
Hello fellow animal lovers,

Is there a heartworm (Heartgard or equivalent) medication available for dogs in Argentina? I searched the forum and found a thread from 2009, but I'm curious what the current status of this medicine availability is. Any brand names or specific vets that carry it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

There is a Bayer product (bayer are pretty big here) called Advocate Perros which covers heartworm amongst other parasites.

Not sure how your spanish is, but heartworm is "gusano del corazon" , if you are lookiing at "pastillas anti parasitarios" you should look for that in the list of ailments it covers. Otherwise, any decent vet should be able to advise you.

I don't know how your spanish is but you should be able to get something your local vet if you use the above as a guide.

You may want to take a look at this link about Natural Prevention of Heartworms in dogs. The heart worm meds that are prescribed by most vets are very toxic and contain small amounts of arsenic which overtime builds up in your pets system and causes serious health issues & possibly early death. There are other ways to treat heartworms. Just google & you will find a huge amount of helpful information. For starts here is a link:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/122103-natural-herbs-heartworm-prevention/

Talk to your Vet. You will find out that there is no heartworm threat in BA. Don't waste your $ and don't give doggie something he/she doesn't need.

Talk to your Vet. You will find out that there is no heartworm threat in BA. Don't waste your $ and don't give doggie something he/she doesn't need.

Thanks for your response, but my Spanish teacher lost 2 Pekingese to heartworm last year. I honestly don't know enough about it, but I know that it's incredibly expensive to treat (at least in the U.S.) and is highly fatal. Considering Argentina's relaxed pet travel laws (a big reason I'm here...so I could bring my boys) I would assume it's just as much an issue as anywhere else.

No. You missed my point. Heart Worm is not here.N
Thanks for your response, but my Spanish teacher lost 2 Pekingese to heartworm last year. I honestly don't know enough about it, but I know that it's incredibly expensive to treat (at least in the U.S.) and is highly fatal. Considering Argentina's relaxed pet travel laws (a big reason I'm here...so I could bring my boys) I would assume it's just as much an issue as anywhere else.
No. You missed my point. Heart worm is not here. Thus not an issue.

No. You missed my point. Heart Worm is not here.N

No. You missed my point. Heart worm is not here. Thus not an issue.

Didn't she just say that her Spanish teacher lost two dogs to heartworm?

From Google:

"La Dirofilariosis canina (Gusano del Corazón) es una enfermedad presente en todo el mundo, antes en la Argentina esta enfermedad solo se conocía en las provincias de Chaco, Formosa, Corrientes, Misiones, Entre Ríos y Santa Fe, actualmente se ha detectado también en zonas de la Provincia de Buenos Aires como Pergamino, Azul, San Nicolás, Tandil, Mar del Plata y Campana. La mayor incidencia ha sido registrada en la zona Norte y Sur del Gran Buenos Aires"

It has been detected in North and South of the province of Buenos Aires. So maybe the teacher's dogs picked it up on holiday?

Mosquito's are responsible for infection of heartworms. Buenos Aires has mosquitos thus your pets are at risk. However, there are holistic/natural methods of prevention that work just as well as any drug manufactured by
pharmaceutical companies and with less risk to your pets long term health.

"The life cycle of a heartworm in a dog is six to seven months; in a cat it is eight months. Larvae from an infected female mosquito are deposited in the skin usually where the coat is thinnest. They burrow into the animal and change in form, moving into the veins and eventually the heart. In three to four months adult worms emerge. They can survive for about five years in a dog's heart and reach lengths of twelve inches. In cats, worms are smaller and live for only two or three years. Male and female worms mate and produce millions of offspring called microfilaria that live in the small blood vessels of up to 90% of infected dogs for as long as seven years, causing lung and liver problems from blocked blood flow."

My local vet in Nordelta said not to worry about heartworm in BA. However, my Vet in the states told me it was a problem in Argentina as well. So, I purchased the treatment in the states and I continue to pick it up every time I travel to the states.

Such contradictory information around! My vet in Nordelta said that Heartworm is rampant in BA. On his instructions we give our pup the preventative medicine monthly. He prescribed Ivermectina which is made here by Holliday and readily available.
Better safe than sorry.

Back