Hello And Good Bye Ba! Back To Ny

Sorry, something sounds wrong here, you left Arg 7 years ago and you found out you could not adapt??? And why post about it on an expats forum, do you feel a stranger in your own country after 7 years??? I must have missed something. I am not saying here everything is cool or not, but nobody loses touch with their homeland after 7 years, lol. Not that we even have a diff government or currency!

I, too, confess myself perplexed. What on earth is the point of this thread? Creating an account to post this seems a peculiar allocation of time, particularly for someone with a new child.

Sorry, something sounds wrong here, you left Arg 7 years ago and you found out you could not adapt??? And why post about it on an expats forum, do you feel a stranger in your own country after 7 years??? I must have missed something. I am not saying here everything is cool or not, but nobody loses touch with their homeland after 7 years, lol. Not that we even have a diff government or currency!

besides that 7 years ago the situation was more complicated.
These robberies are police men or retirement police men. It has nothing to do with poverty or unemployment. Sadly, as institutions work in this country, theres not pretty much you can do.

The return of the Crime Whiners!

Better than the pope and peanut butter, I guess. I wonder if the pope eats peanut butter.

I dont think it has to do with losing touch with your homeland. I lived abroad for 9 years and moved back to Buenos Aires a year and half ago and still cannot adapt! I've been in touch with family and friends, I read the newspapers every single day (at least 3 different ones each time), tune the radio during week days (at work!) and knew perfectly well how things were here. And although I didnt like what I heard or read or family told me, I thought that as this was my homeland, the place where I grew up, my people, etc., I would be happy and that I would find my way through all the insanity here, that I could cope with things as high rate crime, crazy traffic jams, the economy and anything else that I dont quite like. Still, it was a shock when I moved here. I worked in BsAs before I moved out, so I thought I would have a grasp and feeling of what to expect and how to behave, but I found out I was totally wrong. My professional career probably went to the trash bin the day I took that plane. Together with my personal/emotional life.

There is not a single day in which I dont consider moving back to NYC. My "dream job" here was a huge lie (my mistake for believing a public institution would fit my needs and expectations), my personal life is in steep decay and I am becoming a grouchy and depressive young (?) lady, all things I dont like at all, but I cant find a way out (except flying out!). The impossibility to plan my professional life here is interfering with everything else (my economy together with my personal life). And NO, I would have never expected it will happen in my homeland, after adapting to different countries (Switzerland, Germany and US), different languages (I didnt even speak German at the time!) and different cultures.

so YES, you might not adapt to your homeland. Or maybe you will, considering you will be moving out or Argentina and back to wherever you are from.

By the way, I created my account few months before I moved here, started one thread (introducing myself) and never wrote again. Sometime ago I started reading some of your post, trying to understand what you ppl like from Argentina and what I am probably missing, because I really want to fit in here but I often feel more a foreigner than a native. Today I just stomped into this thread.

B

ps. I want to state clear that I do LOVE Argentina and thats one of the reasons why I wanted to come back. Yet, I dont love (not even like) many (MANY) things in here and I am not sure I can deal with them.

Sorry to say but B.A is like all big cities, you have crime !

Maria, get out and meet some of the other Mum's on this site. They seem like a nice bunch of gals. Go out for a coffee and a good chin wag :) . To me this is far more a case of shot nerves and hormones gong into overdrive after what has been a big event for you, the arrival of your little one. Congratulations on your happy arrival :)

Really don't get it.
You left for a few years and now moved back to a currently seemingly dangerous neighborhood.
7 years isn't a lifetime so you likely know how it is here. I'd seriously consider moving to another place in the city but if you have the chance to return to NYC and are happy to do it, more power to you.

Muggings, robberies, etc are usually episodic unless you really pick a shitty place to live and stick out like a sore thumb.

Also, I would like to say that many things have happened in these past 7 years...
People started saying "Amigoooo!"
The country is divided between K and anti-K
There's the dollar Blue and I can't buy or sell properties in dollars
They killed the father of a friend the same week I got to Argentina, and he lived 10 blocks away from my parents house.
They changed the DNI card - mine is no longer valid
Many avenues have changed direction, add to that the bike path
Yes, 7 years and Argentina has radically changed...I hear the people say more and more often "This is Argentina...what did you expect"...

Ber, I read your posting and I thought I had written that...it's exactly what I feel...

M

Back