Hello From A Wannabe Expat

In capital at least I've found taxi drivers to be representative of the population as a whole, which is to say, overwhelmingly in favor of macri.

Back to the point though. There is always a negative bias to these forums since people generally don't post about the things they find acceptable but I've been here over 6 years now and I'm probably more content with the country than most Argentines.

That said....... your pizza sucks, your medialunas suck, your alfajores suck and if you want, you can come to my house on sunday and I'll teach you how to cook a bife de chorizo.

I do have to give you the ice cream... ;)

OK Rodolfo, you are right ... this sunday I'll be at your house, so you can teach us all, how to cook a "bife de chorizo" properly. In return of your wisdom, I'll bring the ice-cream, and some red wine :)

PS:
1) Taxi drivers are always bitching. No matter the country, no matter what.
2) My english is poor, I'm just trying to have a little fun. Hope it's ok with you.

I would agree - taxi drivers always complain, no matter what country you're in.

The ice cream here rocks. The wine is fantastic. I love a good asado and my 100% Argentine better half will cook you a bife de chorizo any way you like it - still mooing in my case or well done the way most people eat it. DDL is mediocre and WHY does it have to be on everything?, medialunas are subpar, alfajores are inedible and the pizza here is an abomination generally speaking.

And Diego - welcome to the forum :)

I'm really intrigued about the pizza thing, it seems that most people here agree that pizza at BA is not good, to say the least.
My experience with pizza in other countries is poor and limited to Chile, Uruguay, Brazil, and USA (Sbarro, only one slice, once).
And after 45 years living here, I think I can't really have an unbiased, educated opinion regarding Pizzas.

Years ago an spaniard told me that Argentine cuisine, was ok, but very limited. And recommend me to me try peruvian plates. I was really skeptical about it, but I've tried and fell in love with it.

So now I wonder what I might be missing about pizzas.

Can you recommend a Pizzeria (or a pizza style,ingredients,etc.) which more resembles what you'd call a good Pizza ?
As much as in BA, as in USA or your home country (I hope to visit USA again next year).
Is there a typical american pizzería in BA to try ? (many years ago, there were Pizza Huts, but not anymore).
Do you consider pizza at Sbarro (USA) a faithful sample of american (or italian) pizza ?

Thank you in advance for your opinions

I'm really intrigued about the pizza thing, it seems that most people here agree that pizza at BA is not good, to say the least.
My experience with pizza in other countries is poor and limited to Chile, Uruguay, Brazil, and USA (Sbarro, only one slice, once).
And after 45 years living here, I think I can't really have an unbiased, educated opinion regarding Pizzas.

Years ago an spaniard told me that Argentine cuisine, was ok, but very limited. And recommend me to me try peruvian plates. I was really skeptical about it, but I've tried and fell in love with it.

Can you recommend a Pizzeria (or a pizza style,ingredients,etc.) which more resembles what you'd call a good Pizza ?
As much as in BA, as in USA or your home country (I hope to visit USA again next year).
Is there a typical american pizzería in BA to try ? (many years ago, there were Pizza Huts, but not anymore).
Do you consider pizza at Sbarro (USA) a faithful sample of american (or italian) pizza ?

Sbarro is not good pizza.

The most famous and definitely a good option for pizza in the city is

http://www.guiaoleo....-nel-Forno-7500

And if you're in the northern part of the city,

http://www.giannatrattoria.com.ar

is a good option. Not as good as Siamo but not as busy or expensive either.

I'm sure there are others.

I would agree - taxi drivers always complain, no matter what country you're in.

The ice cream here rocks. The wine is fantastic. I love a good asado and my 100% Argentine better half will cook you a bife de chorizo any way you like it - still mooing in my case or well done the way most people eat it. DDL is mediocre and WHY does it have to be on everything?, medialunas are subpar, alfajores are inedible and the pizza here is an abomination generally speaking.

And Diego - welcome to the forum :)
for me, the ice cream here is close to gelato - eggy, chewy. I have yet to find a smooth creamy ice cream here.

My favorite is new york pizza - thin crust, flavorful sauce and great quality mozzarella. Pizza here has a thin, watery, tasteless sauce and the quality of the mozzarella is inconsistent.

Medialunas here can be good as long as you're not expecting them to taste like croissants.

Medialunas here can be good as long as you're not expecting them to taste like croissants.

I have a mental image of how panaderias must make their products here.

They start with a giant piece of sandwich bread stock and then send it through a CNC machine which mills it into different shapes before it goes into an oven and is then covered in syrup and/or injected with dulce de leche

Totally agree with Rodolfo on Siamo nel forno - I'd just keep some space left for the tiramisu ;)

My taste in pizza matches Rodolfo's. Siamo nel Forno is good. My reasons are I like a thinner crust that holds its crispiness even after being dowsed with quality toppings (some kind of sauce, a fragrant cheese, some fresh basil or oregano, maybe some other fresh veggies). I also like their burrata (a ball of cheesy gooey goodness that when sliced, oozes just slightly and is served with olive oil, jamon crudo, and bread slices).

I hesitate to describe USA or Italian pizza since pizza varies regionally in both countries. There are some pizzas I don't like in either country. In the USA, my favorite places are Roberta's in Brooklyn, Home Slice in Austin, Grimaldi's in San Antonio, and Lou Malnati's in Chicago. The go-to pizza for delivery in Austin, Papa Johns (Double Daves, but for pizza rolls only). If we're out in no man's land, USA, Domino's for their thin crust.

In Italy, Florence had my favorite pizza at Gusta Pizza (Calabressi was awesome).

Here, I also like the pizza from Sigue al Conejo Blanco (crust is not as crispy as I like, but it's good (meaning it's not soggy), and you can try three pizzas in one large, split with others, of course).

Back