Hello From Noob

EJLarson

Registered
Greetings. First post.

Longtimer re Argentina (and re the planet - over 70). First visited in the 70's, met and married Cristina and have had Argentina in my life ever since. We have a condo near Parque Chacabuco and come to town from our Texas home usually twice a year for a month or so. I consider myself one of the really lucky ones - I can enjoy all of the wonderful things the place has to offer without having to trudge through much of the crap that a citizen (or resident expat, I suppose) has to endure.

So far the worst that's happened was a gunpoint robbery after we (unwisely) visited a blue market cambio. We don't do that any more. Have introduced quite a few friends to BsAs and other places (e.g., love San Isidro) and generally spread the word that Argentina's a very complex place still wrestling with the twin curses of Spanish colonial hangover and the ghosts of Juan and Eva.

Would be interested in attending the informal functions (coffee, etc.) when I come down this November for a few weeks. Love discussing Argentina, its history and future.

-- Ed

Hey Ed, welcome to the forum.

I wonder where the cambio was at which you all were robbed? Most "legitimate" cambios that trade on the blue market are protected by police (a very Argentine situation) or are located in a part of town where robbery is quite unlikely (a place near Arenales and Talcahuano springs to mind) and I've only heard of one other robbery ever taking place related to a cambio and it actually took place at a level above the cambios,at a cueva (the places that actually run the blue cambios and deal much more privately with clients who have need for lots of cash) when one of the guys I used to know here was set up by the secretary who worked there and the guy was followed by a motorcyclist and robbed when he got out of his car near his house. This aside from a rather spectacular failure a couple of years ago where a group of idiots tried to rob a cueva on Florida street, got caught in the act by police while they were still inside (the police take robberies of blue cambios, called arbolitos, and cuevas pretty seriously - they're paid quite well by the arbolitos and cuevas) and tried to run by jumping out of a second story window of the building and injured themselves in the process :)

The reason I mention this is that it's not usually a bad thing to visit a "legitimate" arbolito. And depending on the official vs blue rate these days makes Buenos Aires around 70% more expensive than it need be (the difference between blue rate and official rate is almost exactly 70% of the official rate)

I know, personally, more people who have been robbed taking money out of an ATM (2, but it's been a few years because no one takes money out of ATMs here who I know, with the great disparity between blue and official rates), walking down the street (I lost count years ago - people who live here as well as visitors who I know) or even sitting in their house (1) than I do who have been robbed coming out of a blue cambio (0). You must have been terribly unlucky, but I wouldn't blame it on the arbolitos, as you have better probabilities of being robbed elsewhere than you do at an arbolito that's located in a decent place.

@ElQueso,

As I said, that robbery was really the only negative thing that's happened in many years of Argentine life. The cambio is near home and guarded, but we were followed when we left. It was the motorcycle thing: we left the cambio, caught a taxi and went home (~2 km). As soon as we got out of the taxi we were looking into the ugly muzzle of an automatic. Really not as scary as it might sound, since the chorros were adult, short haircuts, and businesslike (which made me seriously ponder what their day jobs might be). If they had been 18 and jumpy I would have been terrified.

They got some money and my wife's very expensive handbag (she doesn't do THAT anymore, either). We have since gone to a more secure and less public way of changing dollars. And not many dollars at that, since my wife has Argentine income that mostly pays the local bills and expenses during our visits. The extra cash is supplemental. Can't imagine anyone using an ATM these days unless you're just out of dollars.

Otherwise, I walk a lot and try to avoid bad places and always stay aware, but in a sense it's just being lucky/unlucky like so many things in life. Very much appreciate your insights into the cambio picture: you filled in quite a few gaps in my knowledge. Hope to say hello in person if you attend the coffee get-togethers if they happen while I'm in BsAs in Nov-Dec.

-- Ed

I certainly shall when we firm up the dates. Right now it looks like mid-to-late November thru mid-December. Looking forward to meeting some subset of the 18000 or so forum members.

Dates are now set: November 4th arrival, December 3rd depart.

Would very much like to meet and chat with whomever is so inclined. As noted, I live in the Caballito/Parque Chacabuco area but can travel any reasonable distance.

Back