Hello, Hello, Hello

rpkerston

Registered
SO: After what still seems like a whopping number of months of planning, I have arrived here. I wanted to let this Forum know how much I have appreciated reading the posts, the forums and the information available here; It has proven to truly be exactly as the advertised wealth of info was stated, and I found very much of it QUITE useful as I made my first steps during the past 10 days, or so, here. I also have enjoyed the humour that emerges amongst the group, even while it is sometimes MOSTLY good-naturedly at somebody's expense... but still!

In an honest effort to use appropriate keywords and to try and find the info that I seek, I have actually tried to search the forums but was not able to quite learn the following (I learned about opening accounts, there, but not this):

Can one use an ATM card from N America and withdraw USD in or from or at places in Uruguay?

If so, what restrictions on withdrawals might there be, there, if any...? I am more than familiar with the restrictions here.

These answers will help guide me in my next steps, and I very much thank you in advance for these new contributions to my quest in world travel.

If folks are at all keen get together outside of the more structured activities, PM me whenever desired. I look forward to that.

I will have a home internet service connection next week, so until then, I am at the mercy of an internet cafe visit, once or twice daily... After that, I can be more prompt in my replying to folks.

Until then, thanks, again!

Paul

yes, you can get usd in Uruguay with a foreign debit card at any ATM. The limits are set by your bank and you get 300 usd per withdrawal. ATM fees are about 5 usd per transaction.

Can one use an ATM card from N America and withdraw USD in or from or at places in Uruguay?

If so, what restrictions on withdrawals might there be, there, if any...? I am more than familiar with the restrictions here.

Yes you can use a North American debit card to withdraw US dollars from an ATM in Uruguay. As far as the limit I think you have to check with your bank. The real problem is there's not always enough dollars in the ATM because so many people take out dollars. Sometimes I go to Colonia and go from ATM to ATM looking for one that actually works. You have to really plan ahead to make the trip to Uruguay worthwhile.

With a Schwab account you have free ATM fees (they are refunded to you in your next statement), which is quite a deal since being my daily withdrawal limit $1000, I made 3*300 withdrawal and I got refunded the 3*$6 commission I paid at the ATM.

It was noted here on the forum that of course Schwab doesn't like this very much and they can close your account at any time without explanation, so don't fully rely on cash withdrawal in Uruguay for your living here.

MANY thanks for these very confirming and encouraging replies!

I have an account that waives foreign ATM fees, but of course, any local bank ATM fee - applied here - is not waived, so I understand that charge still applies.

I also am familiar with the 'rush' effect on banks and, indeed, am planning accordingly.

I see many people travel to Colonia... and I wonder if there is any advantage travelling to Montevideo, instead, which I did once visit roughly almost a decade ago, myself.

I am thinking to do a mid-week, overnight stay...

? ? ?

MANY THX, again!

Paul

Hi Paul,

Schwab charges no fee to withdraw the money, the $6/withdrawal fee was an ATM fee. Nonetheless, Schwab reimburses you these, as well.
They are charged when you withdraw (i.e. if you want to withdraw $300 (max per withdrawal at Uruguayan ATMs) you need a balance of at least $306), but in a matter of 1-2 days they are waived on your account.

That said, maybe Montevideo has more ATMs you can try, but the fare to Montevideo is a little more expensive. If you plan to spend the night, and you are there just to withdraw money, it starts to become even more expensive . It is okay if you want to make it into a tourist trip, it was just to say that if you plan on keep doing this... well, it is gonna cost you more than you think.

Anyway Colonia's historical center is a UNESCO heritage site and it is really worth a visit!

On a recent trip to Colonia I was told that US$1,000.00 is the maximum amount that one can withdraw per day, per bank card. This can done in 4 installments. If you have US$10,000.00 in your U.S. bank account, you will only be able to withdraw a total of US$1,000.00 per day, even if you go to 8 different bank ATM's.
I think that the best way for you to get Arg Pesos is with XOOM.com. They debit your U.S. bank account and give you Pesos at a pretty good exchange rate. AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO TO (BEYOND BORING) COLONIA !!!!

I am SOOOO sorry for taking so long to return to this: Until 10 hours ago, now, I had no homestay internet service, here... but that has now been connected. I was using an internet cafe, each day, so now... I can do this!

Thanks to all.

'Fred' provides VERY helpful information, here. Many thanks, kind sir.

I actually am not from the US; but from Canada... so the XOOM mentions and the Schwab accounts are not in the offing for me with my set up back there... at least not right now, anyway.

I note the extravagance of an extended stay in Montevideo, as well as the travel time and costs, but I want to do that just once... Probably, in future, Colonia it will be... However, I'm staying where it is very convenient not to travel all of the way downtown to take Buquebus to Colonia, and where I am, there are ferries... but none to Colonia - only to Carmelo and to Montevideo... So... I figure one time to Montevideo, and then in future, via Buquebus, to Colonia...

?

Anyway - all - thank you very much... as always, a true help, here!

Obligingly,

Paul

If you like art, there are two uruguaian artists very well know, Torres Aguero and Gurvich. Each one of them has a museum, ten blocks aways one from each other.

In the past, you were able to talk to the bank in canada where your bank was open and ask them to increase the limit of dollars per each withdraw, telling them at which bank in Uruguay you were going to withdraw your cash. Check it out, with both banks.

Back