Hello - hope I am not intruding!

Chant

Registered
Hello,

I am not sure if this is the correct forum for my request but here goes:

My husband, Sean is an electrician and I am an attorney (don't hold that against me!!). We live in Seattle, WA with our dog, Beans and our cat, Lucy. We are in our early 40's and enjoy riding our bicycles, motorcycles and eating good food with our friends. We don't have children so somehow we seem "younger" than other 40-ish people...not sure why, maybe that is wishful thinking. Anyway, we love good food (who doesn't?) but we are not snobby foodies...one of our favorite things to do is meet up with friends (and friends of friends - everyone is welcome) at a small family run pizza shop on Friday night for pizza and beer. We have been doing that for over 3 years!

We also love to travel so we take two weeks a year (I know, 2 weeks is never long enough) and go somewhere new. 2011 we are planning BA for a week and then on to Uruguay for a week on the beach.

One of our favorite trips was to Amsterdam. We met a Dutch couple here in Seattle that were visiting and they said. "hey, when you come to Amsterdam, look us up!!" and we did. We met up with them and some of their friends a couple times during our stay...we laughed, ate, and drank. Amsterdam is a beautiful city but quite honestly, meeting up with them was the highlight of our trip. We also met a couple ex-pats in Costa Rica and had a similarly great time. We met an amazing group of people from EVERYWHERE in a small hostel in Chengdu, China that were fun to sightsee with. What we figured out is that travel is so much more fun when we can share the experience.

Okay, that sounds a bit cheesy, but hopefully you understand what I mean... we eat, drink, don't do drugs (those days are gone), not weirdos, not swingers or in to anything too out of the ordinary but don't mind if you are, live and let live, no judgment...we do have tattoos (eeek). Generally we are a couple that loves to laugh, meet new people, try new food and wine...and would like to meet some "locals" while we are in BA.

We are also interested in seeing if BA could be the country we become ex-pats in...we want to live abroad but haven't found the perfect place yet. We are going to be in BA in late Feb, early March, 2011...anyone interested in meeting for ice cream? steak? wine? drinks? Suggestions for where to meet similarly situated?

Chantale (and Sean) Anderson

You're not intruding. A trip down here would certainly be fun for you. Visiting a place is not the same as living there. There are many factors to consider. The most important advice I would give you is to rent first, at least a year. If you rent and decide it's not where you want to be, you can just go to the airport and leave. If you own property it can take time to sell and you are not guaranteed you'll get all you money back.

You are intruding, Go away. :D

BTW have you heard the joke about the electrician and the Attorney? 16 (permalink)

I second that advice from Gouchobob not to buy as it ties you down.I speak from experience as I am currently trying to sell a place in Mexico.

Only other advice I could give is to meet locals, not to stick only to Palermo and Recoleta, if you want to know what it is like to live there. I always visit a supermarket in an average area to give me a feel of the real place.

Enjoy Buenos Aires.

There is actually a few Seattle/Buenos Aires yo-yos (a yo-yo is somebody who goes back and forth, one foot on each side, as opposed to an expat who moves completely), a couple of whom post here, and a few more who dont.

We find it a great balance to the climate and culture of Seattle and the northwest.

Tom and Nancy, Molly and Craig, and my wife and I are all back and forth, depending on schedule and logistics.

I actually dont live in Seattle- I fled in 84, when it started to get hard to be bohemian there, but I live nearby, and I use Buenos Aires as my city, rather than Seattle.

Yeah, Seattle has changed in the almost 20 years since I have been here...the bohem's moved to Vashon Island. I do love Seattle (even with its flaws).

We are really hoping to experience BA with an insider...if you, wife, Tom, Nancy, Molly and Craig are in BA in late Feb, we would love to meet you all for dinner/drinks and hear your stories, recommendations, tips, things to avoid, etc.

If my wife and I are there by then, we would be happy to meet up with you guys. She's a local, so we have plenty of places to go. I'm an attorney too-maybe we would have stuff to talk about.

gouchobob said:
The most important advice I would give you is to rent first, at least a year. If you rent and decide it's not where you want to be, you can just go to the airport and leave.
Great advice Gouchobob, wish I'd done that....we bought a place and now are stuck here awhile, worst decision of my life!!!

Back