Hello! Irish girl coming to Buenos Aires in August!

katiok13

Registered
This post may be slightly immature since I am not coming to Buenos Aires for another 5 months! I am hoping to teach English and learn Spanish for a few months or a year in Buenos Aires and at the moment I am reading everything I come across! I've heard that there is not much point in trying to get a job before arriving, but if anybody could give any advice on English teaching over there I would really appreciate it!
Thanks!
KAte

katiok13 said:
This post may be slightly immature since I am not coming to Buenos Aires for another 5 months! I am hoping to teach English and learn Spanish for a few months or a year in Buenos Aires and at the moment I am reading everything I come across! I've heard that there is not much point in trying to get a job before arriving, but if anybody could give any advice on English teaching over there I would really appreciate it!
Thanks!
KAte
I think that you meant to write "PRE-mature".

"Immature" is a little different, but quite common on this site, so you'll fit right in.

Haha yes I meant to say PRE-mature'! I guess teaching English teaching may be a little difficult considering that my own command of it doesn't seem to be so great!
Thanks!

As one fellow traveller from Ireland, who has been here for 18 months now, you will be more than welcome.

One of the problems with teaching english, is that everyone comes to BsAs with that idea in their head, and quite frankly, despite what your read, there are simply not queues of locals lining up for classes. Having said that, there are a number of us who make a "local" living from teaching, and a lot depends on locality you are hoping to teach in, how qualified you are, and how much hard work you are prepared to put in trying to acquire students.

August isn't the best time to arrive for teaching posts, as the academic year here runs from March to December

I have a few connections, and if you care to PM me nearer your arrival time, I may be able to help. Where you heading from?

Hi, don't worry about posting early. I'm doing the same. I'm English and plan to arrive in August too. There are plenty of language schools to get experience in, so I'm sure finding work won't be too hard.

It would be great to meet up on arrival as I won't know anyone in the city!

Phil

PhilCharter3 said:
Hi, don't worry about posting early. I'm doing the same. I'm English and plan to arrive in August too. There are plenty of language schools to get experience in, so I'm sure finding work won't be too hard.

It would be great to meet up on arrival as I won't know anyone in the city!

Phil
bring your drinking goggles with you Phil,youre gonna need them for our meet ups:cool:, where are you from in the UK?

Coming from Cork.. Will be graduating as a secondary school teacher in May and as there are very few job prospects here at the moment and I am in search of adventure I decided that Buenos Aires was the place!
Indeed, that will be great as I won't know anybody either!

katiok13 said:
Coming from Cork.. Will be graduating as a secondary school teacher in May and as there are very few job prospects here at the moment and I am in search of adventure I decided that Buenos Aires was the place!
Indeed, that will be great as I won't know anybody either!
don,t worry we,ll help you in any way we can.you will love it here in BA:)

Back