Hello, My Name Is John...

Well, instead of posting all the places I've lived, check out my Google+ page. With the exception of Puerto Rico, I was in the US Army, and now retired. The good ole USA was definitely an oasis each time I came back, for sure. I guess I'll just move to Colorado and call it quits. Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Not much positive happening in Argentina it appears, but I'll still be enjoying the Malbec's from Mendoza! Finca Bellavista is my fave :) I may still come down for a visit...

Being that the peso is trading at roughly 8 to the dollar, do you find things cheaper(for those with GBP or USD) or is inflation eating away at any bonuses that may occur? IE shopping, housing, even taxi rides?

https://plus.google....068/posts/p/pub

The official trade rate of the peso is ludicrously high against the dollar, held there artificially by the Argentine government. Anyone who trades at the official rate is losing at least 40% of their money by doing so. The current black market exchange rate (called the Blue rate here) is approaching 14 pesos to the dollar. I've seen calculation of around 16-18 is where the price should be based on economic numbers. The government here has been fighting to keep the black market rate down as well. It got up to 16 before the government freaked out and started trying to control it.

On living here - the majority of us live in Buenos Aires. Probably a majority of those who live in Buenos Aires live inside the city in various places. Some live outside the city in the suburbs. I used to live quite a ways out but moved back in because my wife and her sisters (three of whom live with us - wife's family is from Paraguay) found it difficult to get to everyday things like shopping for food and clothes (we lived in the sticks, as opposed to some people who live in places like Olivos that are suburbs, but more city-like). My wife doesn't drive (at all - long story) and we were always dependent on me driving to the nearest grocery store, for example, which was about 10 kilometers away. We moved back in for convenience's sake (which I regret personally nearly every day - I don't particularly like concrete canyons - I'm a country boy).

Now, too many of us expats equate Buenos Aires with Argentina. It does have the biggest concentration of population (nearly a third of the country lives in and around the city and its environs), but it's far from being the whole of Argentina.

As a plain example, I found life very different, and better, living out in the sticks, even though we lived in a closed neighborhood (which I didn't like - if I did it again, I'd get a house, with a wall if necessary to feel safe, depending on where). Life is much more calm there, the people actually more down-home and friendly than in the city. Really, that shouldn't be too much of a surprise, but what surprised me was how much.

I have a friend who lives literally in the sticks to the west of the city. He reclaimed abandoned land (quite a bit of it actually), got a legal title for it and ended up selling quite a bit of it to a land developer. He still lives out there and made quite a bit of money on his sale. Getting the legal title took a little bit of money (mostly paying back taxes in order to claim it, some fees and some improvements) and a couple of years. And the kicker: he still doesn't even have residency here. (read more about that, it's maybe not quite as easy to remain here as a tourist indefinitely as it once was, but it's still done).

I have another friend that lives in San Rafael, near Mendoza. He absolutely loves it, and there are some expats living out there as well. Cheap prices, people are truly down-home, but there are not as many "things" available there. There is no rail transport system in Argentina and the majority of imports (imports, however, at the present time being restricted by the gov) comes in through Buenos Aires and ships out to the rest of the country mostly via truck on mostly two lane roads. So there is some trade-off with living in other parts of Argentina, depending on what kind of life you are wanting to live. Quiet and unassuming (but not poor) would be perfect for something like that.

A guy on the board, SteveInBsAs (I'm surprised he hasn't commented yet) is living a very nice life to the south, near Bahia Blanca. He, too, lives in the country. Bahia Blanca is a smaller city but has access to maybe a little more than places like Cordoba and Mendoza as far as things getting to them, from what I understand. Steve absolutely loves his life out there 9near, but not too near, Bahia blanca as I understand).

I'm a Libertarian, so I find that just about anywhere in the world, to me, is relatively oppressive, lacking in individual freedom and given that government helps to concentrate power in the hands of those who seek it, in my opinion it's difficult to get away from anywhere (including the corruption and lack of true concern for the actual citizenry). One thing I like about Argentina is that I can be an individual and mostly if I'm not hurting anyone I'm ignored. I came here for business 8 years ago, stayed for love (married my Paraguayan princess) and we remain as a happy family still.

You really ought to come down and visit for awhile and see what you think of it. I could maybe even hook you up with my buddy in Mendoza and you could talk with him about his lifestyle (although I would warn you - he's a really good guy, but he's a bit different, has his own radio show and talks about how to avoid the IRS legally - although I note he does live in Argentina :) ). He stays about two months in Mendoza and a month here in Buenos Aires.

Being in places farther away from the city of Buenos Aires seems to provide significantly different lifestyles. You may find one that appeals to you, and even here in the city, $50K a year would probably be a decent living as long as you didn't live hard and fast.

And I'm usually one who urges caution to people coming down here to live. But the people I urge caution to are usually young folk just out of high school who think they can come here and easily live with few expenses and have a good party time (at least, given how Buenos Aires is a party city and young people party all the time, I'm assuming that's their motivation even when not stated :) ). But if you have your eyes open and a bit of experience of the world, you could surely make a good decision for yourself.

We are kind of hanging on the edge of our seats for the presidential elections coming in October to see who will end up with the reigns of the country in their hands. Who knows, the government could become less restrictive and things change for the better. Or Cristina's party could remain in power with some of the very restrictive policies related to import/export and currency controls and things will continue the same or worsen (although some on this board will say that's a good thing).

Also, forgot to mention Cordoba (the city), near mountains. Lovely place. Been there a couple of times and absolutely loved it. Drove all around the city, had a local guide (my first employee here, who is from Cordoba) and met a lot of really nice people. Nice houses on huge lots outside the city that rent for as much or less than what I'm paying for a good-sized apartment in BA.

looks like your conflicted enough to fit right in being a hippy and retiring from the military. it would be best to spend some time in argentina before moving on a permanent basis. I spend my time in Buenos aires. I find the city vibrant and full of activites. I, like you would, do not depend on making money there. the exchange rate is more like 13 to 1 and yes when using the blue rate to convert to dollars find it reasonably inexpensive to live there. the problem is getting us dollars into argentina. use the seach engine on this site to find ways around that and the complications on length of stay. the parks are full of people exercising, golf is available and you get the chance to use a second language. the food is probably what your used to with less variety. the politics are a spectator sport. somewhat predictable because of the corruption. you will learn to love the culture and the people. look for the good but be aware of the pitfalls. politics and the economy won't be as personal with your money coming from the outside. the women are beautiful, not hung up on sex, and don't seem to be divorce ready. the medical is good, medications cheap by us standards.

one other thing on crime. gotta share this story. when my Colombian girlfriend, from Medellin, got her visa to visit my city, she asked if she would be safe. I asked why. she said she heard my city has a drug problem, a gun problem, and is the kidnapping capital of the US. I said that's funny. that's what I hear about Medellin. both cities have there problems as does Buenos aires. my experience has been good in all three.

this is where hippies live- and they live quite well.
fly fishing, incredible local beer, ice cream, chocolate, and fruits, nestled up against the andes, and its a lot cheaper than Buenos Aires.
http://en.wikipedia....lsón,_Río_Negro

also, take all this talk of "corruption" with a grain of salt.
in your day to day life as an expat, you wont see much corruption.
you wont have to bribe anybody to get your mail delivered, or your baggage thru customs, or to get a sube card.

Certainly, there is a fair amount of government kickbacks in construction, and nepotisim in government jobs, just like, say, New Jersey.

But day to day, aside from maybe a speeding ticket, which you might be able to buy off with cash to the officer, just like in Chicago, there isnt a corrupt police force looking for handouts, and you, as an expat, can expect to be able to buy things, go places, and have fun without fear of being shaken down by cops, arrested for no reason, or have your belongings "tithed", like would happen in various countries around the world that have real corruption problems.

There certainly is a bureaucracy here, and things can be frustratingly slow and complicated.
And the economy is inexplicable, with high import taxes or complete unavailability of some imports.
Certain things are miraculously available- if you have the dough, there are iphones and scotch.
But you can still live a pretty nice life here, assuming you are a patient person.

In Arg you are free from many of the negative things about the USA...
you are also free from many of the good things about the USA.

For $50K/year you can live well here and be able to go back often enough to get your fix of America and bring back your creature comforts that they don't have here. Try it out for a visit, then for a 2 year stint that is not a commitment. That's what I'd recommend.

I have another friend that lives in San Rafael, near Mendoza. He absolutely loves it, and there are some expats living out there as well. Cheap prices, people are truly down-home, but there are not as many "things" available there. There is no rail transport system in Argentina and the majority of imports (imports, however, at the present time being restricted by the gov) comes in through Buenos Aires and ships out to the rest of the country mostly via truck on mostly two lane roads. So there is some trade-off with living in other parts of Argentina, depending on what kind of life you are wanting to live. Quiet and unassuming (but not poor) would be perfect for something like that.

San Rafael in indeed a nice place. You have Valle Grande (cabins, river, hiking etc.) and Las Leñas (skiing) in the area. It is a smaller city so if you into that sort of thing this might be an option. Regarding "things" not being available you can just drive up to Mendoza Capital (2-3 hour drive) where there are more "things" available. And also do not forget that the Chilean border is nearby allowing you to do a weekend trip to Santiago etc. (better prices with more "things" available than Argentina).

Please comment on Security in Rural Areas is it a CONCERN....! I know that Steve feels secure where he is...!

... and I am thinking of relocating to Argentina. Would you recommend living in Argentina? I have lived all over the world, and am currently residing in the US. I've been disenfranchised by our corrupt government and really can't get a grip on living the rest of my life here. I am typically a loner and a cynic, but I could adjust to some stimulating intelligwnt conversation. I am retired, and am on a fixed income of $50,000 USD per year. Any advice would be greatfully accepted. Thanks...
That is a lot of money for a single person in BA,you won´t have problems
About the rest,maybe come here,and check if you like it.

Back