Hello, My Name Is John...

OldHippy

Registered
... and I am thinking of relocating to Argentina. Would you recommend living in Argentina? I have lived all over the world, and am currently residing in the US. I've been disenfranchised by our corrupt government and really can't get a grip on living the rest of my life here. I am typically a loner and a cynic, but I could adjust to some stimulating intelligwnt conversation. I am retired, and am on a fixed income of $50,000 USD per year. Any advice would be greatfully accepted. Thanks...

First, the government here is probably more corrupt then in Argentina and the quality of life goes down every year whereas crime goes up. Those that come with a foreign income that can afford to live in a nice area will enjoy it more than those that work and earn in pesos. I once felt like you, moved down here to be with my family, and after too many years, I can't imagine staying here anymore. You're going to get all kinds of opinions here. In the end it's a personal decision and if you're retired and have no ties there, come down and stay for five or six months before making the final decision. If you've lived in other parts of the world like Northern Europe, Japan, Australia, it's not the same as living in Argentina, South Africa or Mexico.

Hello Old Hippy. I imagine you may to have to answer quite a few questions about your personal interests before people are going to be able to give you any sound advice. What are you hobbies, what is your basic day to day routine? Do you mind having to take a ferry ride to Uruguay to do your banking? Come for 3 months and see how you like it, and if you do find this place suits you, go ahead and move here. Do you see yourself living in Buenos Aires or somewhere out in the country? Do you speak Spanish or like to learn new languages?

Don''t know your circumstances, but would recommend NW Argentina (small towns or the cities of Salta, Jujuy), coastal Uruguay or parts of Colombia (central Andes, Cali, Medellin, Santa Marta).

Once you've spent some time in Argentina, The good ole USA will not seem like such a bad place after all. If you don't like corruption, better bring your blinders.

Where have you lived and why did you leave those places?

Once you've spent some time in Argentina, The good ole USA will not seem like such a bad place after all. If you don't like corruption, better bring your blinders.

Where have you lived and why did you leave those places?
Well, instead of posting all the places I've lived, check out my Google+ page. With the exception of Puerto Rico, I was in the US Army, and now retired. The good ole USA was definitely an oasis each time I came back, for sure. I guess I'll just move to Colorado and call it quits. Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Not much positive happening in Argentina it appears, but I'll still be enjoying the Malbec's from Mendoza! Finca Bellavista is my fave :) I may still come down for a visit...

Being that the peso is trading at roughly 8 to the dollar, do you find things cheaper(for those with GBP or USD) or is inflation eating away at any bonuses that may occur? IE shopping, housing, even taxi rides?

https://plus.google.com/u/0/112030568689121626068/posts/p/pub

Back