Hello, needing advice

steveinbsas said:
Student visas do not lead to permanent residency.

If you intend to make Argentina your home I suggest you consider citizenship. You do not have to have a foreign income or even temporary residency, just live here for two years and be able to demonstrate a legal means of living.

This reminds me:

I've heard getting a job at a CALL CENTER is a good way to obtain a work visa.

Kayem said:
Thank you, I'll look up his posts. I wouldn't mind obtaining citizenship... like I said, I'm not going anywhere. I just don't want to jeopardize my US citizenship

Currently, my means of living is my boyfriend. He had saved up a decent amount before we moved and is currently employed here. I'm pretty fortunate because he takes great care of me.

(1) It won't jeopardize jack sh** with regards to your US citizenship. And there is a lawyer on who posts on here, Bajo_cero2 (http://baexpats.org/members/bajo_cero2.html) who is going through the courts to obtain citizenship for clients. And first consulations are free.

-You would need to already be living here for ~1 year before you apply.
-You would need to have lived here for 2 years (at least) before being granted citizenship (if you qualify).

(2) Having a boyfriend/girlfriend that (legally?) pledges to support you may be enough. There's a lawyer that has been recommended several times on here, who I originally went to see about 9 or 10 months ago. He asked me if I had a girlfriend who could support me... So maybe that's enough. Depending on the financial situation of your boyfriend. It's worth a look. And first consulations are free here as well.

-This lawyer works towards visas rather than citizenship.
-The process is more drawn out.
-This process is costlier if you are paying yourself. (vs. a Call Center company paying for you)

Go back to where you came from. Sounds like you'll be going around in circles for ages, while going crazy. . You say that you have no income from th U.S. and are living here with your true love, who apparently is supporting you. For how long? Until he finds another? Dear, he's Argentine. As a U.S. comedian, Joan Rivers, would say "GROW UP!!". Thems the facts, kiddo. (Keep a diary and then have it published, so that others like you in the future will get the answers first hand, without the help of Baexpats.

your u.s. citizenship won't be at risk. the u.s. doesn't really care if you become a citizen of another country. you may have lots of other things to worry about, but don't worry about this one.

fred mertz said:
Go back to where you came from. Sounds like you'll be going around in circles for ages, while going crazy. . You say that you have no income from th U.S. and are living here with your true love, who apparently is supporting you. For how long? Until he finds another? Dear, he's Argentine. As a U.S. comedian, Joan Rivers, would say "GROW UP!!". Thems the facts, kiddo. (Keep a diary and then have it published, so that others like you in the future will get the answers first hand, without the help of Baexpats.
With that logic, I should be a fat hamburger-loving US American that doesn't possess a passport right? If we're going to get into stereotyping. Sounds like you've had some bad personal experience. But I don't think you're in a position to make assumptions. There's guys that cheat everywhere; this isn't exclusive to Argentina or Argentine men. I asked for residency advice not relationship. ;]

I'll look into citizenship. Is that 1-year without exiting the country? I am wondering because I've renewed my passport twice by leaving to Uruguay. I'll have been living here for 1-year come September. Thanks

It says in the U.S. passport that you cannot legally have dual citizenship. I have dual: American and Italian citizenship, as do many Americans. You just can't enter and leave the U.S. with a foreign passport. Last year my U.S. passport expired and I didn't realize it and actually entered NY as a European with my Italian passport. I was really lucky that the immigration officer didn't say anything.

As far as getting a student visa, one or two classes isn't enough. You have to be a full-time student in a college or university. The idea to get a work visa after getting a job at a call center is a good idea theoretically, but you'll have to actually work there. The visa will last only as long as you're employeed.

Marriage is an option, but I would think twice before considering it if you plan on acquiring property while married. I married an Argentinean in 2001 and haven't seen him since 2002 and divorce here is almost impossible. It sounds like the only viable option is the marraige visa. You're boyfriend would have to sponsor you, otherwise you can just go back and forth to Colonia and once a year go back to the U.S. I'm not sure, but I think after two years of this process they'll give you a temporary visa that lasts two years, which you can renew twice. That will give you time to figure out if you want to stay, asses your situation and decide which cateogry you will fit into for the permanent visa. Good luck!

captainmcd said:
Good luck, I hope it is better than mine. I got married to an Argentine in 1983, bought an apartment in BA, have a good job and income here, spent a lot of time and money in police records, finger prints, birth certificates, marriage certificate (registro civil) translations, legalizations, and my documents are still "en tramite" after 25 years! I had an appointment at Immigration (Antartida Argentina) for Monday, but was not able to fly in due to the volcano. In the meantime Argentina has allowed the Colombian drug loard Pablo Escobar's family to become residents, but they are afraid of me. Maybe it will take another 25 years, and I will be only 92 years old.

Go for citizenship, it is easier and you only need your passport and marriage certificate. You can apply with 1 day in Argentina. Regards

Perhaps a silly question, but does anyone know if I need to have my US Passport translated? I've seen a few websites stating you need to have the first couple of pages translated but the US Passport already comes in English, Spanish, and French. I just want to make sure and not waste time.

Secondly, does anyone have a public translator they can recommend?

And on to my final question, I'm wondering if anyone is searching for a English-Spanish exchange partner? I'm looking for someone to practice Spanish with. Send me a message if you're interested. This isn't exclusive to native Spanish speakers; having some local friends would definitely be refreshing.

Thanks

Kayem said:
Secondly, does anyone have a public translator they can recommend?

You can try to give a call to your embassy, they should have a list of the authorized translators.

Kayem said:
but the US Passport already comes in English, Spanish, and French.

I have the same type and as far as I was told in this case translation isn't needed. Only with the other documents like police records, etc which generally is only in the native language.

Back