HELP! Cat needs a new home

bradlyhale said:
We'd keep her until we found someone. However, I don't exactly want you to resort to these "drastic measures." So, if no one here works out, please send me a message. I live in Belgrano.

Bradlyhale, would you be able to take Persephone until Hellotansy is ready? Belgrano would be great so that Persephone does not have to ride in a car all the way to San Vincente to Fabe.

I second the comment about finding out costs before getting a cat or other animal. My situation changed while I was here and I have to make a hard choice. To ship 1 cat to the US would cost $600 to $1000 US dollars (not pesos) and 2 cats came to about $1600US. You may think I am heartless but I can't take both cats. The airlines only allow one pet per person in cabin which will cost about $150US. I will not put her out on the streets no matter what.

Airlines may only allow one pet in the cabin, but you can buy a hard sided carrying case and bring her in Cargo. I don't really understand the situation, or why shipping the cat would be a consideration (aside from the expense). Cargo should cost around $100 plus the cost of the carrier. How sad to separate her from her littermate...

The rules for cargo in Argentina are different than you have described. I also thought that it would be possible to take one cat on board and one cat in cargo but did not find it possible on Continental. Only certain flights allow it so I talked to WorldwideDogs.com which was a really wonderful company to work with for a quote and they are the ones that said that the cats would cost $1600.

I also don't want to separate the cats so if anyone wants both cats you are also welcome to have 2 cats but given that it is extremely hard to find anyone that will even take one cat I do not have any hopes of keeping them together with me or anyone else. I have seriously been looking for months and just turned to BAexpats because I feel you are caring and a good network. I know that many on this site are short timers. I have been here for 2 years and took that into account when I adopted the cats but my situation changed unexpectedly. I really appreciate all your help and support.

The reply about cargo and how easy it is to find things online is not so easy for me as I don't speak enough spanish to get around. (Please don't start to judge me by that). If someone could find a way for me to take Persephone on the plane as cargo on Continental then I will gladly do it. It is possible that I did not ask the right people.

I will pay up to $500 plus buy a cage and will get to the airport hours early if there is a way this can be accomplished. Persephone weighs about 5 KG so maybe I am asking the wrong question to you.

So I will rephrase...Can anyone find a way for me to bring 2 cats to the US without costing $1000 or more??

Again my email is [email protected] and my phone number is 4815-7902

Hi Guys,
I'm moving to Argentina on the 5th of March to live with my boyfriend in Belgrano, we will be looking for a cat within the first week, so if she is still floating around at peoples houses, i could either look after her or adopt her indefinitely once i've arrived. PM me if you need!

I've been investigating the matter quite a bit, as I will be moving back to the US with my 2 cats later this year. You can check them both as baggage with most airlines except for Continental :(. Continental does, however, have a PetSafe program where you can ship them separately as cargo. Did they tell you they couldn't ship the cats from here? (Please let me know so I make sure to avoid buying a ticket through them)

If I were you, I would contact Jim at Pets Ventura (a pet relocation service based out of Buenos Aires) and see if he can think of a solution.

One more thing - If you must find a new home for her, try to avoid giving her to a shelter at all costs. I've heard mixed opinions about Michi Miau, and Hogar de Protección Lourdes should be AVOIDED like the plague. They have a horrible reputation and there are currently several denuncias against them.

Best of luck to you and your kitties!

Wow. I was really saddened by the original post and followed the thread with amazement and gratitude to see MORE than one person step forward to help out.

Now at the end of the thread I am about to have a heart attack, as I brought my two then 18-year old kitties to Buenos Aires with me last year and have every intention of bringing them with me when I leave at the end of July. Guess what? My return flight is with Continental. I picked them BECAUSE of their PetSafe program. Well, I guess I know who I'll be on the phone with this afternoon....

Called continental cargo in US. They gave me the local number here. 4480 0958. Pressed the button to speak to someone in English. Guy answers in Spanish. I ask in Spanish to speak to someone in English. Hangs up on me. Calling back, no answer, voicemail not accepted.

Please, if anyone learns anything about continental cargo and costs for sending two pets different from what the OP heard, please post it or PM me. I'll wait for my husband to get home and call in Spanish and post whatever I find.

Back