HELP! Cat needs a new home

As cargo - is that 1184 in pesos? Or dollars???!!!

I applaud you for bringing her back. However, just so you're aware, it usually takes a minimum of 2 weeks for cats to acclimate to other cats/new home. All cats will hiss at a new/other cat when being introduced.

I am still awaiting the arrival of my cat Persephone but my other cat Maria that I was able to take on board the plane is doing well in her new home and as a solo cat for a couple more days.

I will report that the trip from BA to Houston was overnight and my cat basically cried and meowed the whole trip. I know that the people sitting around me were glad when we landed not to have to listen to her anymore. I gave her Tensium (Alprazolam) but it did not seem to have any calming effect or sleep inducing. I would recommend something stronger if I had to do it again but I am glad we arrived safe and sound and much cheaper than cargo for at least one pet.

As Cargo: Original total quote for shipping $1184 US Dollars and I needed to add 7 days of boarding to the cost so the total that I paid was $1286 USD ($5787 Argentinan Pesos) - See details of breakdown in previous post

The Worldwide Dogs company picked her up on Tuesday, Feb 29th around 5:30 pm. I had to get a few papers notorized that day including a copy of all the pages of my passport as well as a letter giving Worldwide Dogs the authority to act in my behalf and give them a copy of my DNI. They handled all customs paperwork but there was a delay on Monday when the customs agents asked for additional information about what I was doing in Argentina for my stay (it was work) and they needed proof that my contract was completed. I guess so they could see that I was not going to bring the cats back to Argentina again. Worldwide Dogs said that they had never been asked for that before but I sent what documents and proof I had and it has delayed the shipping one extra day. I was expecting Persephone tomorrow night but now it will likely be on Thursday night.

I am preparing for her arrival and expecting to give her plenty of time alone to get aquainted with her new surroundings as well as a lot of love when she is open to it so she knows that she is now home again.

Again I stress to anyone that has read this and followed along that I will be glad to have the "family" back together but bringing 2 cats from Argentina to the US was a more expensive and complicated process than I was prepared for. Please make sure to start planning now and start saving because there are some costs that you can take on earlier like buying the kennel. Also you can start to get your pets ready to travel in different ways. (Don't forget to figure out a way that your pet can relieve themselves with these long international trips especially during the layover. I used a maxipad in the carrier (free in the airplane bathroom to replace) and I heard recommendations of diapers but for the layover I wish I had brought a little litter box to help her do her business in cat fashion.)

I just want to say, good for you for sticking it out despite the hassle and cost and keeping your kitties together, I'm sure they both love and appreciate you for it - in their particular cat way of course!! :D

Back