Help! Cellphone!

bmagda

Registered
This question is an addendum to the previous cellphone post. I went abroad in the UK. So, I have a phone from orange (the cellphone company). I was wondering if all I would need is a new sim card to get the phone working or a whole new prepaid phone?

If its a new model it will probably need to be unlocked. Have a look online to see if you can buy an unlock code, or find one for free. Failing that, most phones can be unlocked here for a fee, or you could just buy a cheap handset to use while you're here (you can get a new handset for around 100 pesos).

I've had luck with my old carrier in the US, At&t, unlocking for me for free. Before I came, I just explained that I'd be living out of the country more than half the time and they gave me the unlock code.
If you don't have an account anymore, maybe a friend with the same carrier can ask for you?

On a related topic, how easy is it to install/get working a SIM card in an unlocked phone? Do I really need to go to a Movistar (or other) actual office, or can I just do it myself? If I do it myself, what do I need to know? Thanks!

Back