Help me decide?

tangobob, you are so right on the money. Your warning is so true. Thank you for being a very good Samaritan and sharing your experience so others might benefit from it, if they choose to listen. Happy New Year!

Tangobob...I don't mean to sound rude but the way you speak makes me think you think I'm an idiot who is incapable of fighting her way through stupid proceedures.
From what I can make of it, I need to first of all find either find a bank which will give me an account or rent an apartment temporarily just to get an official address, and thus an account. (However, this was meant to be the case in Ibiza but my estate agent wangled it for me so I didn't need an official address.) Then I need to get a tax ID number from the police station (same as Ibiza). Then I need to get my bank in Spain to transfer money to a change bureau in Argentina which will transfer it into Pesos (blue money) for desposit into the Argentine bank. Once I've found a property to buy, I sign a contract, pay a deposit, choose a notary and sign the escritora...all the same as in Spain. If I buy off-plan and the seller has a $ account, I can pay in $s overseas after signing the contract.
If that is all correct, what is the problem?

Hannah Sounds like you have it all figured out on your own. Tangobob has offered you the wisdom of experience. Nothing in Ibiza can prepare you for Argentina. Be very cautious. This is a place that has ZERO understanding of the Honor System. Zero.

Well, I think you've put me off the idea :(
It sounds like an awful place where no-one can be trusted and doing it anyway is pretty much impossible. I'm sure if it was worth it you would all have been more positive and encouraging, despite the hurdles.

Hannah, I say..WELCOME to Argentina. Everyone I have met here says that to me, so I say the same to you. Come and try it here for yourself - I am sure you will succeed and if lady luck is not on your side then just pack up and go back home - what is so bad about that? Better to do it to and say you did what you wanted, tried to learn the swing and if it does not work...you will not be the first nor the last to pack you bags and take the next jet plane out of here. I say DO IT. If it feels right to you. Forget the torpedoes and naysayers...full speed ahead!
If your heart is in it, go fo it.You were talking about deathbeds and possible regrets...of course you want to try everything. Life is short, live it like there is no tomorrow. You are young and vibrant, the city will love your energy. Come here and enjoy the wonders of all the very positive things you have read in the internet. If it is in Google it must be true, right? Pack those LoiusV bags, strap on those Prada pumps, carry that Hermes Birkin bag and slip into a nice Vera Wang number and enjoy BsAs, it is a fun city - ok, so I went over board on the Vera Wang, a little number by R. Cavalli would do. Bon Voyage girl! We will be waiting for you.

"Hannah" said:
Tangobob...I don't mean to sound rude but the way you speak makes me think you think I'm an idiot who is incapable of fighting her way through stupid proceedures.
My only wish is to offer help and advice, everyone I have spoken to who has bought property here has had similar problems. Take my advice or not it is up to you. I will gladly put you intouch with the right people if you still want. The only idiots are those who think that they are better than the Argentine system, buck it and it will bite you back hard. Run with it and I still think it is one of the best places to be in the world. Just donot burn your bridges.

Hannah, buying will be burocratic but it is not impossible. If I was you and wanted to test the waters, I would rent my place in Spain and rent sth here, to see how it goes, only then I would buy ;) It is essential that you get in touch with reliable people for any RE transactions. I honestly think you will have a better spec if you visit first, see how much you like it ( and your daughter! ) and then make your decisions. Sometimes over the internet both the good and the bad are exaggerated

"nikad" said:
Hannah, buying will be burocratic but it is not impossible. If I was you and wanted to test the waters, I would rent my place in Spain and rent sth here, to see how it goes, only then I would buy ;) It is essential that you get in touch with reliable people for any RE transactions. I honestly think you will have a better spec if you visit first, see how much you like it ( and your daughter! ) and then make your decisions. Sometimes over the internet both the good and the bad are exaggerated
I couldn´t agree more, well said.

Rather than pitfalls in buying real estate (it's doable) or the honesty of the people (most of them are basically honest, but have had to endure a screwy system for over 50 years), my emphasis is on your business plan. Argentina's bewildering combination of banking, currency, shipping, licensing, and various other beaurocratic complications makes it a poor place to do business--particularly for a foreigner. Brazil and Chile, by contrast, do reasonably well. I hope that doesn't sound patronizing, but, like some of the others, I'm suggesting that it really is different here. It's not Spain. Be advised, do your research, and take the plunge. It's a great city.
Smith

Hannah, I think a trip to Argentina would be wise. I would include Bariloche, were we live as well. It too is a paradise like Ibiza, but with more nature and things to do and big mountains.
As far as buying property as a foreinger, it can be done. And getting the money in can also be accomplished, you just need to know the right companies to help with the process.
Feel free to contact me directly if you would like more help or information. I am originally from California, and have lived the last 2.5 years in Argentina. It was one of the best decisions my wife and I have ever made.
Peace out from Patagonia.

Back