Help Understanding Flight Booking

And the Res. 5499? "solo podrán comprar en este sitio residentes de la República Argentina."

so many resolutions!!!!

I don't see how that changes the spirit of the law and the real purpose of it. None of it disproves what I've been telling you. I only posted to help the OP with a question and instead I got sucked into this retarded debate. I'm out.

but you said:

There is NO 35% travel tax. There is no 35% tax. Period.

What are resolutions:
Res. 3455 Adelanto del Impuesto a las Ganancias o sobre los Bienes Personales
Res. 3550 Operaciones en moneda extranjera para gastos de turismo y/o compras al o en el exterior. Adelanto de impuestos

If 'impuesto' in spanish means TAX...?

So in the following if you don't like the word TAX please substitute 'donation to the government' each time you see the word tax:
  • If you are a resident and buy an international ticket with a journey originating from argentina and purchase it from an argentine travel agent you pay a 35% tax
  • if you are a resident and purchase an air ticket from an international website with an argentine credit card you pay a 35% tax
  • A non resident can only pay for international tickets with credit card or in USD and may not have to pay the tax (although a tax applies to residents and foreigners with viabariloche travelling from Bariloche to Osorno...)
is this correct?

Being a public forum its nice that people share their experiences for the benefit of other who have the same questions. This is why I have posted real world examples and links to back up everything I am waiting rather than just saying "There is NO 35% travel tax. There is no 35% tax. Period." The above is hopefully a correct summary that will help others who have the same question.....

I think you got screwed dennisr, if I was you I would be contacting Delta customer service right away. As a non resident you do not pay Arg income tax and that is what the 35% tax goes to. Did you get this ticket from delta.com or ... ? If it was through Despegar, you have to contact them as you were wrongfully charged the damn tax and paid in dollars!

Hmmm, glad to see I'm not the only one confused! Thank you, Rich One, for reminding me about Asatej. I actually did find the flight I want on their site!

All that being said, not sure if this helps, but the same flight I found on Kayak (in dollars) EZE to DFW and back definitely included the 35% (tax) in the total cost. I can't find the fare breakdown, but it's there....

I think you got screwed dennisr, if I was you I would be contacting Delta customer service right away. As a non resident you do not pay Arg income tax and that is what the 35% tax goes to. Did you get this ticket from delta.com or ... ? If it was through Despegar, you have to contact them as you were wrongfully charged the damn tax and paid in dollars!
Nik
I have talked to Delta and they maintain their policy. Basically Delta says, origin of journey (Buenos Aires) is the deciding factor for the 35%, not the currency in which I paid for the ticket. According to Delta, if your international flight starts in Argentina, you pay the 35%, no matter what currency you use to pay for the ticket. It is what it is and is my personal experience. Please show me a Government document where this is not the case, please. Do not know what else to say.

Nik
I have talked to Delta and they maintain their policy. Basically Delta says, origin of journey (Buenos Aires) is the deciding factor for the 35%, not the currency in which I paid for the ticket. According to Delta, if your international flight starts in Argentina, you pay the 35%, no matter what currency you use to pay for the ticket. It is what it is and is my personal experience. Please show me a Government document where this is not the case, please. Do not know what else to say.
If this is the case, it is outrageous! next time you might be better off buying miles and getting the ticket with them.

If this is the case, it is outrageous! next time you might be better off buying miles and getting the ticket with them.

Thanks Nik:
From Qantas
Qantas international flights from Buenos Aires (Pistarini)
Prices are based on round trip purchase and include fuel surcharges of approximately US$680 plus Argentina's Tourism Tax, 35% withholding tax and approximately US$178-US$290 of airport taxes and charges. These amounts may vary depending on the rate exchange.
http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/international-flight-specials/from-buenos-aires/premium-economy/global/en

I had to pay the 35% tax on travel back in June when I flew home to the us. Luckily it was just on the pet carrier since my originating flight was from the us. I paid with my foreign cc at American Airlines.

Nik
As I tried to tell you it is not where you start the journey, it is where the ticket is 'Plated" from, and apparently Delta is platting all there ex Argentina tickets from Argentina, hence the 35% charge(which isn't really 35%, as it is 35% on just the base fares not on any taxes or fuel surcharges) see the two examples below for the identical flights, the only difference is that the Delta flights sold by Expedia are plated ex US, and don't include the 35% tax withholding.

[font=Lucida Grande'] YOU SELECTED THESE FLIGHTS:

[/font]

OUTBOUND

Tue, 08 Apr 2014

|
8:25PM
LAX
| 1-Stop
|
EZE
10:40AM
[background=rgb(251, 234, 201)]Wednesday 09 Apr[/background]
ATLChange Planes

View Seats
Complete Delta Air Lines Baggage Information

RETURN

Tue, 22 Apr 2014

|
10:30AM
EZE
| 1-Stop
|
DL 101​

Show Details
EZE
1-Stop17 hr 50 min

DL 1754
Economy (X)

View Seats
[font=Lucida Grande']In-Flight services and amenities may vary and are subject to change.[/font]

[font=Lucida Grande']Final baggage fees will be assessed and charged at time of check-in.
Baggage fees may change based on the class of service or frequent flyer status.
[/font]

[font=Lucida Grande']All prices are (USD) unless otherwise noted.
If your itinerary qualifies for trip insurance, you will be able to add it before you purchase your ticket.

PRICE PER PASSENGER: $1,111.00 (USD) TAXES, FEES AND CHARGES: $563.82 (USD) TOTAL PER PASSENGER: $1,674.82(USD)
TOTAL FOR ALL PASSENGERS(1):
[background=transparent]This amount will appear in full on your statement[/background] $1,674.82 (USD

LeaveTue, Apr 8Total time: 18hr 15min

Depart
8:25 PM

Buenos Aires , Argentina
Ministro Pistarini (EZE) Terminal C

Stop 1
5:50 AM

Atlanta, GA , United States
Hartsfield-Jackson Airport (ATL) Terminal I

[background=rgb(254, 247, 173)]No change of planes. Time between flights: 2hr 47min[/background]
[background=rgb(254, 247, 173)]Stops: 1[/background]

Delta Air Lines 110
Economy
5,011 mi 10hr 25min
Seat map

Depart
8:37 AM

Hartsfield-Jackson Airport (ATL) Terminal S

Arrive
10:40 AM

Los Angeles, CA , United States
Los Angeles Airport, El Segundo (LAX) Terminal 5

Delta Air Lines 110
Economy Boeing 767
On-time performance: 70%
1,943 mi 5hr 3min
Meal: Food for purchaseSeat map

[background=rgb(254, 247, 173)]This is an overnight flight, which will arrive one (1) day later.[/background]

ReturnTue, Apr 22Total time: 17hr 50min

Depart
10:30 AM

Stop 1
5:34 PM

[background=rgb(254, 247, 173)]Change of planes. Time between flights: 3hr 36min[/background]

Delta Air Lines 1754
Economy Boeing 777
1,943 mi 4hr 4min

Depart
9:10 PM

Arrive
8:20 AM

Buenos Aires , Argentina

Delta Air Lines 101
Economy
5,011 mi 10hr 10min

Seat map Flight Airline Ticket(1) $1,290.42 (Adult: 1) Total due at booking $1,290.42 Taxes and fees included
Prices listed are in USD unless noted.
Additional baggage fees and entry/exit feesmay apply.

[background=rgb(254, 247, 173)]This is an overnight flight, which will arrive one (1) day later.[/background]
[/font]

So as you can plainly see her the same flights are $1674.82 from delta, Or $1,280.37 if you buy them from expedia, the only difference is delta is plating the tickets ex Argentina, and collecting the 35% tax withholding on the base fare, whereas Expedia is plating it ex US, and is not subject to the 35% tax withholding

P.S. sorry the flight info didn't paste in the cleanest format, if you want you can go to Kayak, and enter your flight data click through to Delta for their price, and also click through to compare from expedia, etc, and then maybe you will finally understand what i am trying to tell you ;)

As I tried to tell you it is not where you start the journey, it is where the ticket is 'Plated" from, and apparently Delta is platting all there ex Argentina tickets from Argentina, hence the 35% charge(which isn't really 35%, as it is 35% on just the base fares not on any taxes or fuel surcharges) see the two examples below for the identical flights, the only difference is that the Delta flights sold by Expedia are plated ex US, and don't include the 35% tax withholding.

[font=Lucida Grande'] YOU SELECTED THESE FLIGHTS:

[/font]

OUTBOUND

Tue, 08 Apr 2014

|
8:25PM
LAX
| 1-Stop
|
EZE
10:40AM
[background=rgb(251, 234, 201)]Wednesday 09 Apr[/background]
ATLChange Planes

View Seats

RETURN

Tue, 22 Apr 2014

|
EZE
| 1-Stop
|
DL 101

Show Details
EZE
1-Stop17 hr 50 min

DL 1754
Economy (X)

View Seats
[font=Lucida Grande']In-Flight services and amenities may vary and are subject to change.[/font]

[font=Lucida Grande']Final baggage fees will be assessed and charged at time of check-in.
Baggage fees may change based on the class of service or frequent flyer status.
[/font]

[font=Lucida Grande']All prices are (USD) unless otherwise noted.
If your itinerary qualifies for trip insurance, you will be able to add it before you purchase your ticket.

PRICE PER PASSENGER: $1,111.00 (USD) TAXES, FEES AND CHARGES: $563.82 (USD) TOTAL PER PASSENGER: $1,674.82(USD)
TOTAL FOR ALL PASSENGERS(1):
[background=transparent]This amount will appear in full on your statement[/background] $1,674.82 (USD

LeaveTue, Apr 8Total time: 18hr 15min

Depart
8:25 PM

Buenos Aires , Argentina

Stop 1
5:50 AM

[background=rgb(254, 247, 173)]No change of planes. Time between flights: 2hr 47min[/background]
[background=rgb(254, 247, 173)]Stops: 1[/background]

Delta Air Lines 110
Economy
5,011 mi 10hr 25min
Seat map

Depart
8:37 AM

Arrive
10:40 AM

Delta Air Lines 110
Economy Boeing 767
1,943 mi 5hr 3min

ReturnTue, Apr 22Total time: 17hr 50min

Depart
10:30 AM

Stop 1
5:34 PM

[background=rgb(254, 247, 173)]Change of planes. Time between flights: 3hr 36min[/background]

Delta Air Lines 1754
Economy Boeing 777
1,943 mi 4hr 4min

Depart
9:10 PM

Arrive
8:20 AM

Buenos Aires , Argentina

Delta Air Lines 101
Economy
5,011 mi 10hr 10min

Seat map Flight Airline Ticket(1) $1,290.42 (Adult: 1) Total due at booking $1,290.42 Taxes and fees included
Prices listed are in USD unless noted.
Additional baggage fees and entry/exit feesmay apply.

[/font]

So as you can plainly see her the same flights are $1674.82 from delta, Or $1,280.37 if you buy them from expedia, the only difference is delta is plating the tickets ex Argentina, and collecting the 35% tax withholding on the base fare, whereas Expedia is plating it ex US, and is not subject to the 35% tax withholding

P.S. sorry the flight info didn't paste in the cleanest format, if you want you can go to Kayak, and enter your flight data click through to Delta for their price, and also click through to compare from expedia, etc, and then maybe you will finally understand what i am trying to tell you ;)

I don't know what the story with Delta is, but this is a flight leaving the States if I am looking at it correctly. I think everyone is in agreement that no one should pay this 35% tax or whatever you want to call it on flights originating outside Argentina with a foreign credit card. But if I put in my desired flight originating in EZE in Despegar, Asatej, Expedia, Kayak, Orbitz, whatever - you name it - the prices come out to be the same (at the blue rate). Around 17000 pesos or 1600 dollars give or take.

I don't know what the story with Delta is, but this is a flight leaving the States if I am looking at it correctly. I think everyone is in agreement that no one should pay this 35% tax or whatever you want to call it on flights originating outside Argentina with a foreign credit card. But if I put in my desired flight originating in EZE in Despegar, Asatej, Expedia, Kayak, Orbitz, whatever - you name it - the prices come out to be the same (at the blue rate). Around 17000 pesos or 1600 dollars give or take.
dennisr was referring to a flight originating in Arg. I guess if it is a roundtrip, originating in Arg you will have a leg that sdtarts outside Arg but that clearly shows that you return to Arg. I think what any expat with foreign only cc should do is to simply buy miles online of the desired airline and proceed to buy the tickets with those.

Back