Help With Steps Gaining Residency.

JoshF

Registered
I just recently got married to my Argie wife. I've been here a touch over a year doing the Uruguay run every 90 days.

I've been searching posts here and got some good info but I'm in need of an over simplified step by step version of what's needed for me and spouse and where and how I get the process started to stop the need for a Uruguay run.

I'm turning to you guys/gals here for help to make the process as clear and straight forward as Possible, If any of you kind folks could help, me and my wife would appreciate it.

I'll respond to any questions or PMs and supply any info needed to help you fine expats to get me going in right direction.

Here is the aforementioned post Bajo was referring to.
http://baexpats.org/topic/29534-immigration-for-dummies/page__hl__%2Bimmigration+%2Bfor+%2Bdummies

Also, my suggestion would be to stop doing the visa runs. Your passport doesn't need to have a "current visa" to go through the process and you risk being marked as a fake tourist.

It's really very simple. The immigration website has a complete list of the documents you need to have and what you need to do with them (i.e., apostle, translated, etc). It's a very straightforward process.

I have a question on getting my documents translated (birth certificate and FBI record).

My translator and I want to know if she should translate from originals or copies of the documents (I have both but prefer to give her copies). She will need to stamp what she worked from on the translations.

Will translations of copies be ok when presenting paperwork for residency. I will show the originals when I present all of the paperwork.

Thanks!

In the immigration office you present your original with the apostile and the attached and legalized (stamped over the joining pages) translation. They scan it at the moment and return the originals of every document back to you. From the official migraciones page:

La documentación a presentar deberá ser original. La Dirección Nacional de Migraciones podrá solicitar, si así lo considerase necesario, documentación adicional a la detallada.

P.S. Remember that if you have a passport where the biographical page does not contain Spanish translation of the data (or it is not on some other page, as is the case in EU passports for example) you will need to have this page translated as well, and since the translator cannot attach a legalized translation to your passport s/he will attach it to a copy of this first page.

It's really very simple. The immigration website has a complete list of the documents you need to have and what you need to do with them (i.e., apostle, translated, etc). It's a very straightforward process.

Exactly. Here's the info.

Hey,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I understand that I will present my original to migrations. What I am wondering about is specifically translation relation - if it is necessary that the translator translate the documents from the original or can I give her a copy of the originals to translate from. She told me she needs to stamp "from a copy" or "from original" when she does them.

I ask because I would prefer her to work off the copy. I dunno, I feel a bit nervous giving someone originals of things.

Thanks!

I always send scans to the translator via email. Then when I pick up the translations--I present the originals to attach to the translations. I only do it this way to save me a trip with the originals to the translator and then return to pick them up. But for your purposes, they would never leave your possession.

Back