Helpful Tip: Success At Int'l Correo Today

el_expatriado

Registered
Today I received a package at the international office of Correo Argentino in Retiro. They were turning away about 20% of the people there who had failed to fill out a new Form 4550 in AFIP, which is a new form you need to receive international shipments.

However, they have a special desk there for foreigners now and if you go with your passport for ID instead of a DNI they'll let you receive the package without the AFIP form. :p

On a downside you still have to wait 3 hours to do the whole process. Its even more bureaucratic and Kafkaesque than before because now they verify (almost) everyone's AFIP forms before letting you get your package.

In my case I received a small purchase that I made on Ali Express (less than $25) and I was not charged any taxes. I don't know if the experience would be the same for a larger purchase. But I wanted to share just in case anyone needs to buy something abroad. You can still do it. :)

Do they just glance at your passport or check the entry stamp? IOW - if you're a resident foreigner, will this work?

Make sure it's formula 4550 version 1. Many people were turned away because they did 't have version -.

Make sure it's formula 4550 version 1. Many people were turned away because they did 't have version 1.

I just received a letter that my small package (a $10 harp string) has arrived but the letter says I need to go online and login with my number (and I don't have one so I'm reading the blog to see people's experience). So I should fill out that form and bring it to correo argentino? Or am I reading this wrong?

I just received a letter that my small package (a $10 harp string) has arrived but the letter says I need to go online and login with my number (and I don't have one so I'm reading the blog to see people's experience). So I should fill out that form and bring it to correo argentino? Or am I reading this wrong?

Is it a telegram from Correos?

You may have to go online and pay 100 pesos ....if it is that , you pay and two or three days later your freindly postman brings the package

So door to door as spouted by La Nacion and others was a downright lie?
When will I ever learn... ?

Well, the thing with the 100 ARS online payment (I think it is the one with Clave Fiscal) existed also some years ago, as a friend was just talking me about it the other day. She had received a package from France with gifts for her newborn baby some three years ago, paid the 100 ARS and the package was delivered to her door. She also said that she had to declare the content and wrote on the Form "I SUPPOSE they are gift for my newborn baby" and that was it.

She also says she has been ordering books from amazon and received those to her door in 2 days (through courier), and from thebookdepository.com in 15 days (through the public mail system).

Mrs Glasgowjohn got a telegram three days ago . Package from China containing some cooking utensils.

She paid the cash via Pagomiscuentas

Didnt have to go near the AFIP page at all

Package arrived today

4 months later and I've not heard a peep from Correo about my package of tea from the UK valued well under $25. The British Corner Shop who I ordered it from very generously refunded me every penny without any hesitation so I won't be taking advantage of their kindness again as it wouldn't be fair ordering something I know won't arrive.
Seems to me if you don't have a tracking number you're wasting your time. I have been told using the DHL express service is the way to do it but as it costs and arm and a leg it's pretty much useless for items of low value plus if you're a foreigner not registered with AFIP you have to go through hoops anyway. It's a sad state of affairs as it means I can't receive goodies from friends and family.
I'm getting in touch with the Court of Human Rights to see if I'm a victim. :D

Back