Hey Nerds, I've Got A Router Question.

I'm guessing you're on a Mac and I'm not familiar with them.
Your computer IP should be something like 192.168.0.X where X is a number other than 1 and lower than 255.
From a command line, type PING 192.168.0.1 and press the Enter key.
The reply should be a bunch of gibberish but basically should be able to tell you that the IP is reachable or not.
If you can't reach 192.168.0.1 there's no way your browser will be able to manage the Modem.

It would be useful to know your current IP, maybe you should pinging or looking for 192.168.1.1 instead. Most devices work in the xxx.xxx.1.xxx range.
OR
Manually set your IP to something in the 192.168.1.x range (other than 1 and lower than 255) and try browsing your way to the Modem

Really impressive responses, and I love the price!
Tom, you should take all these guys out to lunch :D

Hey Iznogud, Thanks but I think that is all over my head. I will spend time with it tomorrow.

Hey Jay, I would gladly take the bunch for lunch and throw in a martini, wine and home cooked meal for whoever can come over and get this POS working.

I'm guessing you're on a Mac and I'm not familiar with them.
Your computer IP should be something like 192.168.0.X where X is a number other than 1 and lower than 255.
From a command line, type PING 192.168.0.1 and press the Enter key.
The reply should be a bunch of gibberish but basically should be able to tell you that the IP is reachable or not.
If you can't reach 192.168.0.1 there's no way your browser will be able to manage the Modem.

It would be useful to know your current IP, maybe you should pinging or looking for 192.168.1.1 instead. Most devices work in the xxx.xxx.1.xxx range.
OR
Manually set your IP to something in the 192.168.1.x range (other than 1 and lower than 255) and try browsing your way to the Modem

Does this give you info you need?

image.tiff

Does not compute... :mad:

Where in the world are you? Not a drinker, I'm afraid.

Opps, my screen shot didn't come through.

It showed an IPv4 address of 192.168.0.4 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and a router of 192.168.0.1.

I am in Palermo Viajo and my computer is a MacBook Pro.

T/

All IPv4 addresses beginning with 192.168. (there are others) are private, i.e. internal addresses, used to serve a number of units within one (or a few) "external" (public) IP addresses.

They cannot be seen from outside your router, i.e. from the rest of the internet (the public internet), only the external (public) address can.

(Router public address e.g. 173.42.133.88) -> [physical router] -> (Router private address e.g. 192.168.0.1) -> (unit 192.168.0.3) + (unit 192.168.0.4 your computer) + (unit 192.168.0.5) + (unit 192.168.0.6) ...

As Iznogud wrote: To watch your camera online (from the public internet) you'll need a public IPv4 address.

Until he gains access to the modem, there's no redirecting to the camera in the LAN.

All IPv4 addresses beginning with 192.168. (there are others) are private, i.e. internal addresses, used to serve a number of units within one (or a few) "external" (public) IP addresses.

They cannot be seen from outside your router, i.e. from the rest of the internet (the public internet), only the external (public) address can.

(Router public address e.g. 173.42.133.88) -> [physical router] -> (Router private address e.g. 192.168.0.1) -> (unit 192.168.0.3) + (unit 192.168.0.4 your computer) + (unit 192.168.0.5) + (unit 192.168.0.6) ...

As Iznogud wrote: To watch your camera online (from the public internet) you'll need a public IPv4 address.

Sorry, just to clarify this, there are 3 private networks. 10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12 and 192.168.0.0/16. The rest is usually known as public IPs. Now, if you want, you can put a "public IP" and use it in your internal network. It will work there, but of course, it wont be reachable from internet (because the ISP has to assign you that, you can just assign it to yourself. Every country has their own segment). It doesn't really matter what IP you may have, all it matters are the internal routes you have configured (cmd --> route print). That's how you can define what is internal and what's external.

She doesn't need a public IP for his camera. She just need to do a port forwarding as Iznogud told her. That way, she will redirect the IP from fibertel to the internal ip from his camera. The thing is, she first needs access to fibertel's router.

Thank you Iznogud,

Pretty much everything I see tells me to log into my router and I can't. I am wired to it but don't know what you mean by "and have an IP in the same range.Make sure you can ping the address first. Also, clear your temp files.".

I do have an account at Dyn and believe it is set up but I could be wrong about that too.

I don't consider myself a total novice with computers but feel like one in this case.

It doesn't matter if you can ping the address or not, because that could be blocked (is not common to have that enabled in home networks, but this is an option to avoid being easily detected). You need to access the modem, usually by using a browser. Just type:

http://192.168.0.1/ and see if you see something. Searching about that model, I found that perhaps the username is admin and the password is motorola. Then you will need the internal IP of the camera.. once you have that you will be able to go into a menu in fiberte's router called: Forwarding.

You will then put the internal ip of the camera (like, 192.168.1.50) and the port (I dont know how you are seeing the camera, is through a webpage?). If you do, and you check the camera using this address for example: http://192.168.0.50/, you will need to use port 80. If you dont, and for example you are using this one: https://192.168.0.50/ (check the s in the front), it will be port 443. If you use something like... http://192.168.0.50:8080, well, its going to be 8080.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Back