Hi all, considering moving from Australia.

We'd need more info --

1) Is this a transfer? Do you get a moving package at all?

2) What field is it in?

3) What level job is it? Supervisor, Manager, GM, etc

4) How many people will you be in charge of?

5) How many years of experience do you have in this line of work?

6) Is the company paying health insurance, or are you going to have to pay it out of your own pocket?

Buenos Aires is a much more expensive place than most people assume, and inflation soars rapidly. Cars are expected to go up by 15% or so this year, and they are already more expensive than a lot of countries (I'm not sure about Australia so can't comment on relative price)

Also expect that your children's school tuition will be hiked if not twice, at least three times each year, so if you do more research you'll want to make sure you have some decent breathing room there.

Renting a house in the burbs could be a great option, but if you're thinking to have to invest in 2 cars instead of just one, you'll need another good chunk of money -- to be blunt, even a 10 year old car with 200,000+ km can still cost about 5-6000 USD. For a car that is a decade old...

syngirl said:
Renting a house in the burbs could be a great option, but if you're thinking to have to invest in 2 cars instead of just one, you'll need another good chunk of money -- to be blunt, even a 10 year old car with 200,000+ km can still cost about 5-6000 USD. For a car that is a decade old...

My dos centavos: there's minibus service - locally called "charters" - from the suburbs to downtown. If he moved to a place served by them, he'd need only one car.

Syngirl is right: cars are fiendishly expensive in Argentina - about 40% higher than in the States.

If you can keep your present job in Australia at anywhere near the salary you receive now, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't even THINK of coming here!

If you are desperate for work and have no options that is a different story, but that's also how you might feel once you are here!

DO NOT COME HERE AND WORK FOR LOCAL SALARIES UNLESS YOU ARE ALREADY DESPERATE FOR WORK!

The schooling system offers many options, depending on how much money you can spend on it. There are some schools which provide international programs such as IGCSE & IB. Those are a bit expensive but worthy.

Cars are expensive, but depending on where you live they are not essential...

However, bare in mind this is not Australia so certain things you might take for granted are not but this is a country that welcomes everyone who is willing to come

Those of you who are so bitter about living here...well, would you rather be in your country?? Why are you here?

I dont want to be rude, but it makes me a bit angry...yes, this is not the best place on earth, but it aint so bad either.

missveronica said:
Those of you who are so bitter about living here...well, would you rather be in your country?? Why are you here?

I dont want to be rude, but it makes me a bit angry...yes, this is not the best place on earth, but it aint so bad either.

I am not at all bitter about living here, but I also have friends in Australia.

Life in Argentina sucks big time compared to life in Australia, especially for middle class families.

That should indeed make you angry, missveronica.

Of course this isnt Australia...I know there are many countries in the world where life is easier and better...However I still think we're no so bad...On a more negative note...we could be much worse...But we still have time ... LOL...

I'd like to try living somewhere else, I just dont have the guts

steveinbsas said:
Life in Argentina sucks big time compared to life in Australia, especially for middle class families.

This is not sarcasm, just plain curiosity: why are you here and not in Australia, or somewhere else?

I'm in Argentina mostly for family reasons, but I sometimes wonder why so many foreigners choose to live here.

Is it because it was so cheap after the 2002 devaluation? If so, that reason is moot - for the past two years inflation has been very high, and the dollar has remained relatively stable. In fact, the US is cheaper right now.

missveronica said:
Of course this isnt Australia...I know there are many countries in the world where life is easier and better...However I still think we're no so bad...On a more negative note...we could be much worse...But we still have time ... LOL...

I'd like to try living somewhere else, I just dont have the guts

Great (and incredibly honest) post!

I chose to live here!

But I didn't have a previous life that was any better...

As much as I love Buenos Aires I would not recommend for a family . There are much better places in Argentina that will offer you a similar lifestyle to Australia but with beautiful scenery that is hard to find in Oz. I am australian and was born in Sydney and can speak from that knowledge. I know all states of Australia very well.

Mendoza , San Rafael Mendoza. Rosario Santa Fe, Salta Salta Province and the stunning area of Rio Negro near El Bolson I would highly recommend.

Buenos Aires has become a more dangerous, illicit city over the years and while recommendable for singles I certainly would not bring children up here.

SaraSara said:
This is not sarcasm, just plain curiosity: why are you here and not in Australia, or somewhere else?

I'm in Argentina mostly for family reasons, but I sometimes wonder why so many foreigners choose to live here.

Is it because it was so cheap after the 2002 devaluation? If so, that reason is moot - for the past two years inflation has been very high, and the dollar has remained relatively stable. In fact, the US is cheaper right now.

The US is not cheaper right now, especially if you pay property tax or utility bills.

Since October of 2008 the exchange rate (pesos for dollars) went from about 3.09 to 3.85 pesos to one dollar.

You either don't know what you are talking about or you are being intentionally deceptive.

(of course I expect you to make a case to the contrary, but please use NUMBERS...)

Back