Hi all, considering moving from Australia.

steveinbsas said:
The US is not cheaper right now, especially if you pay property tax or utility bills.

Since October of 2008 the exchange rate (pesos for dollars) went from about 3.09 to 3.85.

You simply don't know what you are talking about.

What's your problem? Do you have to be so nasty? You seem incapable of having a civil conversation. Your post would have been just as effective (or ineffective) without that last line.

YOU are the one who does not know what your are talking about. Or are you credulous enough to buy INDEC's figures? In the period you mentioned, the dollar increased 19.7%, while inflation was above 30%, by all independent estimates.

I do have a home in the US, and know perfectly well what property taxes and utilities are right now. They are counterbalanced by things that are far more expensive here, like food, gas, car tags, insurance, security, and property taxes in San Isidro.

Of course, you can live more simply than that: no car, small apartment in BA, etc. But for comparable lifestyles, the US is cheaper right now.

SaraSara said:
What's your problem? Why do you have to be you so nasty? You seem incapable of having a civil conversation. Your post would have been just as effective (or ineffective) without that last line.

YOU are the one who does not know what your are talking about, unless you are innocent enough to buy INDEC's figures. In the period you mentioned, the dollar increased 20%, but inflation was above 30%, by all independent estimates.

I do have a home in the US, and know perfectly well what property taxes and utilities are. They are counterbalanced by things that are far more expensive here, like food, gas, car tags, insurance, security, and local property taxes in San Isidro.

Of course, you can live more simply than that: no car, small apartment in BA, etc.. But for comparable lifestyles, the US is cheaper right now.

You really should shut up when you don't know what you are talking about...let alone insulting me.

I pay no monthly apartment expenses. and I have a beautiful 110 square meter apartment in Nunez.

I pay less than $50 USD a year in property taxes.

My phone, electric, water, and gas bill total less than $50 USD per month combined.

My health insurance (Meducus plan azul) is less than $100 per month for TOTAL coverage (including dental) with no deductible.

I don't need a car or have to insure one.

Imagine what either of these would cost in the US (especially in a big city like New York).

You REALLY don't know what you are talking about OR YOU ARE TRYING TO MISLEAD OTHERS!

Or you are trying so hard to be right (in spite of the facts of reality) that you only end up making a fool of yourself.

(It isn't pretty.)

Civil rhymes with drivel (almost).

How's that for a last line?

There you go again...! You are so easily rattled, making a fool of yourself with those immature tirades.

I very much doubt you can live in an apartment without monthly expenses, "gastos comunes". Probably the rest of your post is as accurate as that.

The fact is, I have homes and cars both in Washington and Buenos Aires, so it is easy for me to compare expenses.

SaraSara said:
The fact is, I have homes and cars both in Washington and Buenos Aires, so it is easy for me to compare expenses.

And easy for you to brag about it.

SaraSara said:
There you go again...! You are so easily rattled, making a fool of yourself with those immature tirades.

I very much doubt you can live in an apartment without monthly expenses, "gastos comunes". Probably the rest of your post is as accurate as that.

My "gastos comunes" are 6 pesos every two months.

You really don't know what you are talking about.

Should I assume you are as intelligent as your snap judgments?

steveinbsas said:
My "gastos comunes" are 6 pesos every two months.

You really don't know what you are talking about.

Should I assume you are as attractive as your snap judgments?

Then you probably live in a PH, not an apartment. Misleading again.

Should I assume you are as intelligent as your lovely posts? (No, I'd hate to assume that about a fellow forum member)

"Whats the story with schooling? We are prepared to homeschool our boys if the local schools are sub par."

The last time I checked, and I do educational research, there was no possibility of home schooling your children in Argentina in such a way that it'd be recognized by the state here. In other words, I could not homeschool my children today if I expected them to live and function in Argentina for a long time.

However, you could look into whether Australia would recognize your homeschooled kids when they go back there, so that they are placed at the appropriate grade.

I am assuming that homeschooling there works in a similar way as it does in the US. If so, then homeschooling your kids could be an option. The major drawback will be that the kids may not make the most of learning Spanish and the local culture by not mingling with other kids their age, they may lose the opportunity of becoming somewhat bilingual... this is up to you to decide.

Another datapoint:

One of my middle-class friends told me they need 5000 pesos per month to cover the minimum expenses for a family of 4, including food, maintaining 2 cars, and sending their kids to a middle-class, private school. They own their own apartment.

Back