Hi all, considering moving from Australia.

SaraSara said:
Then you probably live in a PH, not an apartment. Misleading again.

Should I assume you are as intelligent as your lovely posts?

Here's my PH:

http://buenosaires.en.craigslist.org/reo/1594363718.html

Yes, it's a PH and not an apartment.

So what?

You can assume anything else you want.

I'm almost as intelligent as I am physically attractive (even at my age).

I learned long ago not to assume anything...Especially when dealing with women on the internet.

So many of them (on the dating sites) are short, fat, and ugly.

Of course that does not matter on a site like this.

What matters most is being factually correct.

(Until you meet in person.)

pericles said:
Buenos Aires has become a more dangerous, illicit city over the years and while recommendable for singles I certainly would not bring children up here.

BA / GBA is a great place to raise kids if your income puts you in the higher brackets.

- Childcare much cheaper than North America
- Private schools are cheaper as well, apart for the really uppity ones.
- Kids are fully integrated members of society -- ie you're not expected to dump them with a baby sitter every time you leave the house, they are welcome at pretty much any event, and it's very common to see them out for dinner with their parents at midnight on the weekend.
- If you're earning a good salary, you will be able to put your kids into pretty much any type of class or course that you can imagine, and at much more accessible rates than you may see in your home country.
- There's an entire park called Park of the Child here -- that's how into the kids they are. And it's one of the few in the city that is dog poop free.

Downsides with kids here:

- Lunch plans at schools are terrible quality, but hey, most menus here are terrible quality too.
- School tuition can be raised unpredictably at any point throughout the year for private schools
- Babysitters when needed, hard to find because it's much more common to have the kids stay with the grandparents etc
- Quality baby items ridiculously expensive and hard to find, basics like diapers, bottles etc are expensive.
- Toys are expensive
- Books are super expensive
- Clothes for kids are pretty much the same prices as clothes for adults
- if you live in the city riding a bike around the neighbourhood not possible, though you can take them to any of the parks in the city for that.
- Street hockey? Not happening (hey, I'm Canadian, that's weird that there's no street hockey!)

I would definitely consider raising kids here -- in Canada childcare would cost us about $22,000 USD a year (unless we were in Quebec where it's totally subsidised and only 7 dollars a day). Private schools much more expensive back home. However at home it's first world, the perspective is much more multicultural, much more open-minded, the parks are clean, and having grown up in Canada, it would be weird to have kids that grew up not experiencing a proper winter with snow and all...

steveinbsas said:
I learned long ago not to assume anything...Especially when dealing with women on the internet.

So many of them (on the dating sites) are short, fat, and ugly.

Sorry to learn you have to rely on dating sites.

porteña said:
"Whats the story with schooling? We are prepared to homeschool our boys if the local schools are sub par."

The last time I checked, and I do educational research, there was no possibility of home schooling your children in Argentina in such a way that it'd be recognized by the state here. In other words, I could not homeschool my children today if I expected them to live and function in Argentina for a long time.

However, you could look into whether Australia would recognize your homeschooled kids when they go back there, so that they are placed at the appropriate grade.

I am assuming that homeschooling there works in a similar way as it does in the US. If so, then homeschooling your kids could be an option. The major drawback will be that the kids may not make the most of learning Spanish and the local culture by not mingling with other kids their age, they may lose the opportunity of becoming somewhat bilingual... this is up to you to decide.

Yeah I'd worry about homeschooling too just because what if you actually ended up staying in Argentina, you could find your kids ineligble for university studies because of homeschooling (University by the way, for residents, is free -- with the exception of some private unis).

Your kids will adjust faster than anyone in the family to Argentina. If you're worried that they will miss something in school you'd be better off sending them to a private bilingual school and then supplementing whatever you feel is missing yourselves.

There was a woman here who brought her kids for 12 months from the states and they homeschooled -- her blog was mentioned a few times, if you have a hunt around here you could find it. I think in the end they sent their kids to school for half days and then taught the other half at home.

Back