Hi all, considering moving from Australia.

If I was the OP I'd be so pissed for having to read all this crap. 9 pages of it jeez...

orwellian said:
If I was the OP I'd be so pissed for having to read all this crap. 9 pages of it jeez...

What?

Life in Ba is a lot more complicated that reading nine pages of silly stuff here.

Suddenly you are dedicated to keeping threads pure?

How many of your posts have been really helpful to wannabe expats?

If you are a true Orwellian: Are you walking on two legs?

okay, back to business. There was a couple (with 2 preteeners). in BsAs for maybe 2 years, just left, moved back to Portland. They blogged the whole time, I think it would be a good read for you, both kids and parents felt very positive about their experience. Micheleandtom.com

Also, Tom and I own a condo in BsAs, and in Seattle, Wa and maintenance (gas,electricity, etc) is definitely cheaper by far in BsAs. And (in BsAs)we don't own a car, restaurants about 1/2 the price, taxis are around 1/3 the price, on and on. However somethings are much more expensive like fridges, tvs, cars, everyday clothes. Hope this helps, BsAs is GREAT we love it.
Nancyi

missveronica said:
I dont want to be rude, but it makes me a bit angry...yes, this is not the best place on earth, but it aint so bad either.

I'm neither bitter nor angry. We live here on ONE local salary. I think it's important to prepare someone who is about to uproot his family with children for the realities of living here (or anywhere else he might be thinking of living).

I wouldn't say don't do it. But I would say he needs to know as much as possible before moving.

SaraSara said:
This is not sarcasm, just plain curiosity: why are you here and not in Australia, or somewhere else?

I would guess because he's not a middle class family with kids.

TomAtAlki said:
Also, Tom and I own a condo in BsAs, and in Seattle, Wa and maintenance (gas,electricity, etc) is definitely cheaper by far in BsAs. And (in BsAs)we don't own a car, restaurants about 1/2 the price, taxis are around 1/3 the price, on and on. However somethings are much more expensive like fridges, tvs, cars, everyday clothes. Hope this helps, BsAs is GREAT we love it.
Nancyi

I'm guessing you have a foreign income. I highly doubt that with an local income the OP will be able to maintain two houses.

The success of the OP to be able to live the way he described easily is all based on whether he will be earning local salary or foreign salary. This we don't know yet.

syngirl said:
BA / GBA is a great place to raise kids if your income puts you in the higher brackets...

Yikes, I certainly wouldn't raise kids here.

Hi to the original poster from Aus

I'm an expat here, been here for 3+ years - it's good and bad for me.
But I'm so sorry for what you have had to read. If I was considering moving from Oz to Bs As, I would be totally put off by this 'diatribe' on this thread. These are supposed to be comrades to help you get sorted! In stead it's people slagging each other off! Really sorry! Bs As does has some good stuff to offer - I love it - but it's a hard life. Send me a personal mail if you want more info.

Hello Nic,

First off, I'm sorry that all this nonsense is going on in the thread that you started. Unfortunately, some people come on here to fight rather than to help each other which is what this forum is all about.

I don't know much about the math and the cost of living here. But if you plan on living in the city, living in a house will be very difficult because they can be very expensive. To rent a 3 bedroom house in a safe neighborhood inside that city can cost something along the line of U$S2,000-3,000 (according to my girlfriend who is a native of the city). And a car, if buying it new will most likely cost over U$S10,000. Unfortunately a used car is not going to be much cheaper.

If you wanted to live outside of the city, the cost will drop for your rent. But this may not be the best thing because it isn't as safe for a family that speaks little to know Spanish. And if you are out of the city, you will HAVE to have a car.

The city is not as safe as the government makes it seem. But crime happens everywhere and most of it is pick-pockets but mugging seems to be more common. There are only a few neighborhoods where I would consider raising a family in the city. Nunez, Belgrano and some areas in Palermo are the only ones I would consider.

It also seems to me that your children would have a very hard time going from school in Australia to school in Buenos Aires when they don't speak any Spanish.

In my opinion, if you want to do this, rent a 2 or three bedroom apartment in Nunez or Belgrano (the two northernmost neighborhoods along the river. Also, I would depend on public transportation and taxis to get around instead of buying or renting a car. The cost is just very high to buy a car and traffic here sucks enough as it is.

I honestly don't think that you can retain your suburban/family lifestyle here in Buenos Aires. But if you'd be open to living in the city and experiencing it, it might be worth it.

There are som neighborhoods around BA, specially in Northern BA. Such as Florida, Olivos, Martinez, San Isidro that are both nice and near the city.
I used to live there and could do without a car... It all depends on how comfortable you are used to being and how much you're willing to compromise..

Schooling in those areas is pretty good and there are several choices. In fact most of the schools are "bilingual" half the day in English. I've been around and can give info.

You might also want to consider living in the suburbs...gated communities are a good option. However, you will need a car if this is your choice.

I dont know if you're coming with a proposal or you have to look for a job. But there are plenty of opportunities outside the city, which, if you chose a gated community, would be nearer

Im quite sleepy, dunno if I was clear enough...Any qs you can PM me

Back