Hi all! New in the forum, young family here

It really depends on what kind of school you're looking for. (Bilingual? Religious? Artsy? Waldorf?).
You can get a very good school for 1000 ar$ a month, but that's just an estimate, it can be a lot cheaper or a lot more expensive.

Living also around Pilar, it is also important to take the traffic into consideration :
- Pilar is 45 km North of BA (direct access through a freeway : Panamericana).
- Fact is that starting around 4pm/weekdays, it takes about 90 minutes to come back to Pilar from the Centro (more if there's an accident).

There are also two trains that reach Pilar :
- One starting from Retiro (Belgrano Norte : the red ones) -> up to Villa Rosa (2 minutes away from Pilar)
- One starting from Constitucion (not sure, never took it) going up to Pilar.
Trains are safe (at least the one coming from Retiro, the other one might be a bit more problematic) but they are packed with people starting from 4:30pm (if you take it from the first station though, you can find a seat).

The Pilar area is indeed very nice.

For 3.000 pesos + 530 monthly expensas (should be even less if only there weren't 20/25% of the people in the gated community not paying anything), you can rent a decent house with a big garden.

To have such a big pool closer to BA (San Isidro/Vicente Lopez, etc.) would cost a fortune. But again, it depends where one works & if people are scared of taking the train (by far the easiest method to come back from the big city).

The pool's painting job was finished today!

jardin3.jpg

jardin2.jpg

jardin1.jpg

Tomatoes, eggplants, red peppers, cilantro, perejil, pepinos, albhaca, ciboulette, tomillo, romero, etc started growing.

French Jurist, you've made me jealous! That rent / expensas is less than what I'm paying for a pokey, overheated little 2 bedroom apartment with no balcony in Barrio Norte! I couldn't handle the daily commute to work though. The only redeeming feature of my apartment is that it's only 4 blocks to work.

No kidding. Way to make all us city dwellers jealous. I think the garden is my main envy. There are enough pools in the city at friends´places for the basic splash every now and then.

In Paris for that rental price, it would even be almost impossible to rent an apartment with the same surface as the pool here. Makes you wonder!

Anyway, I'm thinking about organizing an expat event here (with live band & such). I wanted to do it last year but got too much work to do so. Stay tuned!

I remember the rental prices in Paris. I lived there for a year in college. Incredibly expensive! I rented a chambre de bonne to save money. Super tiny. Luckily, I didn´t spend much time inside. I am actually returning for a visit to Paris soon. :)

Here the pools that we have access to are at friends´ places and usually shared with the building. Sometimes apartment buildings have pools on the roof in the city. Probably not quite the size of the one in your picture though. ;)

Vlad said:
Hello. I´m new to the forum as well and saw this thread with references to young family. My wife is from New Zealand and I´m from El Salvador with 2 girls aged 5 and 18 months. We are currently living in Brisbane, Australia but are thinking about BA as our next place to live. We would like the girls to learn spanish and the culture. I speak spanish but my wife doesn´t and she is worried she will be isolated. I have told her that BA is a big city and there are lots of expats (just look at this website!) Can anyone tell me how much a reasonably priced primary school would cost per year and also an apartment?
Vlad

Sounds cool! Did you know any English when you came to Australia?
I also didn't speak the language when I got here 2 years ago but I learned and I get by, I still have difficulty with tenses but over all I can carry long conversations and get my point across.
i didn't take any classes, and maybe I should..
As for school and rent it depends on many things- apt size and location, and school-full day, half day, even in private schools the prices vary. It's about 1000-2000 pesos a month for grade 1, full day in private bilingual school, and you pay 11 payments a year.

French-
Cool pool, yesterday I had my pool fenced, I should take some pictures.
Tomorrow I am getting the gallery where the parilla is enclosed with sliding doors so I will have some extra living space.
I also have a little veggie garden, planted some mint there I should plant some spicy peppers since they are not easy to come by here since I am the only one here who buys that...they special order it for me at the local verduleria...hehe
Ok, waiting for your event! We should be there. Are the dogs invited too?

AlfajorEfi said:
French-
Cool pool, yesterday I had my pool fenced, I should take some pictures.
Tomorrow I am getting the gallery where the parilla is enclosed with sliding doors so I will have some extra living space.
I also have a little veggie garden, planted some mint there I should plant some spicy peppers since they are not easy to come by here since I am the only one here who buys that...they special order it for me at the local verduleria...hehe
Ok, waiting for your event! We should be there. Are the dogs invited too?

Even better, you'll be invited to the pre-event (could be in 10 or 17 days)! Dogs are welcome (I got 4 but they are cool).

I planted also spicy peppers and the garden has a fig tree, a kaki tree, an abricot tree (flyes are faster than me and the fruits get quickly full of worms) and a pomegranate tree (I didn't use those pomegranates until now but this year, I'll make some juices).

Easy & green life!

Back