Hi, I am brand new... just signed up this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your advice is spot on,for anyone planning on living in Argentina year round. but as Don has already indicated that he and his wife are planning on spending about six months of the year in Argentina, if they keep their stays to just under six months they will never have to worry about double taxation, getting a DNI (which is only granted with legal residency), or even paying an overstay fee (if they get a prorroga de permanencia).

PS: Neither will they have to worry about being denied reentry for having "too many stamps" in their passports.

The complication will come at the time they want to sell their property.

The complication will come at the time they want to sell their property.
I addressed this in (some) detail in a previous post in this thread. Please add any more info that you think would help them make an educated decision.

PS: I would advise them to visit for (less than) six months for the next two or perhaps three years, exploring the city and discovering the pros and cons of different neighborhoods before deciding to purchase a property. It's highly unlikely prices in dollars will take a sudden upturn...unless the dollar takes a sudden downturn...if and when it is replaced by a "world" currency...or some other "crisis" befalls either the USA or Argentina.

Last edited:
PS: I would advise them to visit for (less than) six months for the next two or perhaps three years, exploring the city and discovering the pros and cons of different neighborhoods before deciding to purchase a property. It's highly unlikely prices in dollars will take a sudden upturn...unless the dollar takes a sudden downturn...if and when it is replaced by a "world" currency...or some other "crisis" befalls either the USA or Argentina.

PS2: It's also possible to acquire residency (and obtain the DNI) before selling a property (in order to avoid the complications of selling as a non-resident). If that's done in the same year as the sale, they would avoid the "complications"of selling as a non-resident. If they left Argentina before spending six months of that year here, they probably would avoid other tax issues as well.

Truly appreciate your compassionate advice. Will listen to any and all words of wisdom from all of you who have made the transition. My wife and I would enjoy being a part of your ExPat community... soon. Thanks again

I know a lot of people who got just off the boat as they say and brought a property in Argentina. Nothing unusual at all . Life Is about living and if it makes one happy to buy here who are we to judge
Perry is a realtor who lives in the city for years and speaks English, if you have questions.

PS2: It's also possible to acquire residency (and obtain the DNI) before selling a property (in order to avoid the complications of selling as a non-resident). If that's done in the same year as the sale, they would avoid the "complications"of selling as a non-resident. If they left Argentina before spending six months of that year here, they probably would avoid other tax issues as well.
PS3: It should be much easier to sell one property as a non-resident than it would be to get the temporary residency and the DNI. Selling as a non resident takes more time, but unless one is trying to avoid paying taxes on (assumed) rental income, it should be a lot less expensive and time consuming than getting temporary residency and the DNI.

Bottom line: It's very important for a non resident to keep accurate records (especially the utility bills) if they ever plan to sell a property in Argentina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back