Hi There, Arriving Soon

Cipolladolce

Registered
Hello! I will be starting a 2-year contract teaching at an international school in BsAs this August, moving from 7 years teaching at a US public high school. Thank you everyone who has provided such helpful information in these forums - I've been reading them for days. I am pretty sure I am all set insofar as finances (have a job, being paid in US$ to a US bank account) and housing (employer-provided apartment.)

I am in the throes of packing, so, if anyone can suggest things I should bring that are impossible or very expensive to get there. (Preferably your more lightweight, non-fragile, small items.) (I already know: electronics - bringing everything I need with me.) I plan to visit the US next summer, and am expecting a few visitors throughout the year, so it's not like I have to bring everything I might need for 2 years.

Or, ways to go about making friends once I get there (I'm female, 36, single, no kids. My Spanish is pretty bad but I have been working on it and very much want to become fluent.)

...I would be very appreciative. Thanks!

Cipolladolce said:
Hello! I will be starting a 2-year contract teaching at an international school in BsAs this August, moving from 7 years teaching at a US public high school. Thank you everyone who has provided such helpful information in these forums - I've been reading them for days. I am pretty sure I am all set insofar as finances (have a job, being paid in US$ to a US bank account) and housing (employer-provided apartment.)

I am in the throes of packing, so, if anyone can suggest things I should bring that are impossible or very expensive to get there. (Preferably your more lightweight, non-fragile, small items.) (I already know: electronics - bringing everything I need with me.) I plan to visit the US next summer, and am expecting a few visitors throughout the year, so it's not like I have to bring everything I might need for 2 years.

Or, ways to go about making friends once I get there (I'm female, 36, single, no kids. My Spanish is pretty bad but I have been working on it and very much want to become fluent.)

...I would be very appreciative. Thanks!

You sound so well set for the adventure of a life-time. Good for you..have a wonderful 2 years!

I think you are pretty much set! If you like A1 steak sauce, peanut butter, or maple syrup, those would be good things to bring, as it will be hard to find them here.

I agree you seem very well-set to have a great time. About making friends though - have to say it's not easy. You can meet people through this forum, but I found that you have to take the bull by the horns - don't wait for an invitation, take the initiative, plan something yourself and invite people and you're sure to get some takeup. I've had some great times with people I met through this forum.

Welcome to BA, I like your screen name :)

Make sure your medicine cabinet is fully packed. It might take you some time to find similar drugs locally.

Suggest you do not bring flashy clothing and adjust to the local urban cammo
Ladies seem to mostly wear trendy colors and switch periodically. Blend in.

pompeygazza said:
About making friends though - have to say it's not easy. You can meet people through this forum, but I found that you have to take the bull by the horns - don't wait for an invitation, take the initiative, plan something yourself and invite people and you're sure to get some takeup.

Good to remember anywhere, I think. Thanks.

Iznogud said:
Welcome to BA, I like your screen name :)

Make sure your medicine cabinet is fully packed. It might take you some time to find similar drugs locally.

Suggest you do not bring flashy clothing and adjust to the local urban cammo
Ladies seem to mostly wear trendy colors and switch periodically. Blend in.

On OTC meds - good to know.

I'm not a flashy dresser by any means but I'm wondering if you can define "local urban cammo" for me?

Definitely maple syrup if you like breakfast US-style ;) I've never had a problem with A1, but there are other things I've had problems with that others haven't - that's Argentina, you never know. Often depends on where you live.

If you like specific mixed spices, I'd think about bringing some of that with you too. Things like garlic salt (used to be available, but I haven't seen it for three years or more here), any of the Lawry's-type seasonings (like Season All) that you might like, Old Bay, good meat rubs (unless you have a decent recipe for making them yourself), etc.

Don't think about leaving a good portion of your clothes behind either, if you're thinking about saving space for other things. Clothes here are expensive for lesser quality.

Sounds like you are set for the perfect stay - I envy you the relative security and ease of managing certain things that your situation will give you :)

Just ment not to stand out. Fashionable colors change every few months and are easiy recognizable. Again, do your best to blend in.

Sorry I can't provide a link, but if you can find one of the local fashion magazines online editions you'll see what I mean. Used to be forcibly kept current with that stuff but now I'm single :D

Cipolladolce said:
I'm not a flashy dresser by any means but I'm wondering if you can define "local urban cammo" for me?
Jeans, casual shirts, lesser quality handbags, etc., most likely.

I often wear sweat pants and a t-shirt in the winter, or shorts and a t-shirt in the summer - I probably dress down more than I have to ;)

Back