High Cost Of Shipping Cat/dog To The Uk

Yes, fortunately the UK brought its rabies regulations in line with the rest of Europe so while cats and dogs have to be microchipped and have their rabies shots up to date, there is no other quarantine/blood test requirement when coming from Argentina. Thank you all so much for your replies, anyway. Fortunately, the exorbitant quote was due to a typo...the company actually mean't US$ 1,900 total and not per cat...which is a lot better!
I think it must just be a UK thing, RachinBA, animals now have to fly into Heathrow only and as British Airways cargo...and British airways (certainly in Arg) only accepts animal cargo through DAF.

hi,
we are leaving BA and returning to NY next week. we are taking our 8 year old boxer with us. 2 years ago pets could travel as "extra luggage". which meant you could just pay an extra baggage fee. This is still the case when you travel from the US to argentina but with new laws, controls, etc. that the Argentine government implemented you know HAVE to book your pet's travel through a cargo pet agency if you are traveling from Argentina to wherever. which means tons of additional expenses.

Leaving Argentina with a pet is quite easy and straightforward. You definitely don't need a pet agency. I left Arg with a cat at the end of October and just paid an extra fee ($175 USD) to have him in the hold. And entering the US, they didn't even look at him.

Almost $2k for 2 cats still seems pretty expensive. Might as well get them their own seat next to you on the plane... ;) Or maybe you can try sending with another airline through another EU port? Thought I suppose that's probably a lot more stress than it's worth.

Are you planning on moving back to the UK? I hope you keep blogging... :)

Yeah, I definitely think the regulations are a lot stricter going into the UK so I think a lot of that cost is paperwork, etc.
And yes, we are hopefully leaving (just waiting on a visa so not 100% certain by any means). I'm sure I'll find plenty to moan about though so the blogging will indeed continue!

Hi Ashley,

I know it's been several months since your last post on this topic but I was wondering if I could ask if you manged to move to the UK and if so, how it went with the cats? I am in a similar situation to you and am finding it so hard to find cost information for flying cats into the UK. I managed to get a quote from the cargo operator but it seems there are so many additional costs e.g. Heathrow airport handing fee, customs fee etc. Would you be able to let me know what your final figure came to in the end? I have one cat at the moment but am looking into the possibility of flying back 2, if the cost isn't double. I'm not sure whether it is calculated per container/weight or per cat.
Any info would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks,
Elsie

Does anyone know if the laws still exist that you can't just take your dog as cargo with you? I am hoping to travel to Sydney in November with my dog, I will also now have to go via Santiago.

Back