High numbers of card withdrawl frauds in BA at the moment.

scotttswan

Registered
Just been told by my bank that there is a high number of frauds in cash machine withdrawls at the moment and they have stopped all cash machine withdrawls for now.

A huge hassle for me as i can't get money out at all (they recommend cash back....)

I'm with the Clydesdale bank in the uk. Anyone else having similar problems?

got declined today too by my UK bank. but not by Clydesdale. Maybe there's something going on.

I spent an hour on the phone to them and finally got told that they will be lifting it at some point.

When? They cannot say, but they shall phone me and let me know.

Apparently i can still get money by asking at a teller.... has anyone done this here? I'll be giving it a go tomorrow but if not i'll have to resort to using my visa (hopefully it will work!)

Ok you cannot get cash from a teller here.

My visa card has also been blocked.

Apparently it wasn't actually my bank but Mastercard itself that has blocked it.

Anyone else having problems?
Any workarounds?

I've experienced a lot of problems with cards/ATMs. If you are going from bank to bank trying your card they'll freeze it. Sometimes, if you try more than two times (punching in the code,) they'll freeze it. The only thing you can do is call the bank and see what the problem is and ask to have it unfrozen.
I used a visa card today at an ATM with no problems.

I had no problem whatsoever with a withdrawal on my HSBC Canada account at an Itau (Banelco) ATM yesterday.

Fwiw I used my HSBC USA ATM card at Citibank with no problems yesterday

I was unable to draw pesos from ATMs at two different Citibanks today. A "technical" problem cited on the ATM screen. I did note other folks not having any problems. Uh oh.

@Johnny From what i've found out it is only Clydesdale Bank cards that are the problem.

The bank stupidly took it upon themselves to block all cards from cash machines.
Apparently Point of Sale transactions are not blocked, but my bank do not seem to realise things like cashback and getting cash from the teller do not exist here no matter how much i protest.
I have taken it up with complaints and they have agreed to pay all extra costs incurred by using alternatives until they "lift" the ban.

I have "loaded" my visa credit card with some cash and am using this in banelco machines just now.

I also have a FairFX card and CaxtonFX card on the way as backups for the future.

As long as the government don't change the laws etc (fingers crossed) i should be ok for the near future.

Back