High Speed Internet

brandon

Registered
I've been searching for high speed internet service in order to work remotely in BsA connected to the US. I've searched and spoken with Arnet/Telcom, Telefonica/Speedy and Telmex.
The first 2 only offer a 256k upload speed in Nunez. I've upgraded Arnet to the fastest plan avail in my area, 3 Mb down/256k up, but only achieve 760k download when I run a speed test.
I was going with Telmex's business plan of 2Mb symmetrical but when they came to install yesterday, they do not have line of site to the tower for the microwave antenna. Their dedicated business service is US$690/month for 2Mb (ouch!)
All that being said, does anyone have an ISP that achieves at least 2Mb down and more than 256k upload?

Much appreciated,
Brandon

I think your location is killing you. For whatever it is worth. Have Fibertel and how long that lasts is anyone's guess. For download, easily get 2 megs. Run a Slingbox/Slingcatcher all day long (1 meg download) and run Scottrade Elite trading platform for 500k (watch my money disappear). Plus, use Skype video calling for about 400k download/upload. Throw in a couple of Itunes and I have been good to go. Performance does drop off during peak hours (1800-2300). Do not pay anything near your quoted price.

Have been in BA a week now with a decent internet connection. However, at the weekend it was almost non-existent. Is this a regular occurrence in BA at the weekend? Peak time, everyone back in residential areas and on t'interweb?

Senor Suitcase
www.senorsuitcase.com

Mr Suitcase - I push my Internet hard at the weekends, as I stream sport back from Ireland/UK and have had very few problems. Then again, I live in a non gringo area of the province, and may not have the same weekend pressures competing.

senorsuitcase said:
Have been in BA a week now with a decent internet connection. However, at the weekend it was almost non-existent. Is this a regular occurrence in BA at the weekend? Peak time, everyone back in residential areas and on t'interweb?

Senor Suitcase
www.senorsuitcase.com

yes, evenings and weekends the internet connection slows down. And when it rains.

Liam3494 said:
Mr Suitcase - I push my Internet hard at the weekends, as I stream sport back from Ireland/UK and have had very few problems. Then again, I live in a non gringo area of the province, and may not have the same weekend pressures competing.

What sites do you use to watch UK sport with? Am keen to try and work something out for The Ashes.

Senor Suitcase
www.senorsuitcase.com

The Ashes may be problematic as SKY have the rights. I can access BBC and ITV sites, along with RTE from Ireland, but there are a few peer to peer web sites out there that might carry SKY's coverage. I use Overplay to get me onto BBC etc., and I'll PM you with other details that might help.

Back