Hijacked..any Thoughts Or Ideas?

estebandepraga

Registered
Hi to all,
Although this might sound very far-fetched, I can tell you it is nothing but the whole truth and many of you know me! I even had a program about it on my radio programme, The Typical Mistake.

Many years ago, I was based for my job in Nairobi, Kenya and after many months of non-stop leading safaris through Kenya and Tanzania, I had 2 breaks; during one, I went after the civil war to Yemen ( and now another civil and Saudi war) and on the other to Ethiopia.

To make a very long story short, I was taken hostage(along with the other passengers) on a hijacked Ethiopian Airlines flight which was a living nightmare which ended after 48 hours when the Ethiopian hijackers finally turned themselves in( I was the mediator) and we then started phase 2 of the story as we were taken to El Obeid, a city in Central-West Sudan which was a terrorist training hotbed. I was forced to make a video on Sudanese TV which was then to be given to the major TV networks such as BBC, ABC,CNN,DW,TVE etc sorry no TeLeFe or 13!

Why am I tellng you this? Because now after 21 years, I am going back to Ethiopia on Ethiopian Airlines in November and it occured to me to see if I could get any special treatment such as an upgrade, a free domestic flight to visit the sight where I was headed but obviously never reached due to the hijacking or even an extended stay in the country by allowing me to change my return date from Addis Ababa. I NEVER RECEIVED ANY COMPENSATION PRIOR TO THIS! Since I am going back, I thought I am not asking too much! Ethiopian Airlines told me that 1) They had no record of this hijacking and 2) I would have to follow strictly the fare rules of the ticket! And I had an agreement with Ethiopian that they would take me from point A to point B which was never fulfilled on their behalf when I was hijacked.
Does anyone have any idea where I may go? I went to an air travel ombudsman but to no use.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Esteban
PS I sent Ethiopian airlines several copies of the articles in world press as well as the incident with the pilot's name in a recently published book called "Violence in the Skies" published this year. The date of the hijacking was 17 March, 1995. It can be googled.

Maybe the legal liability has expired I wonder, Furthermore on the fine print may exist a clause that insurance policy does not cover for terrorism or Acts of War?
However they may do a save face good will upgrade or some free miles on Ethiopian.

Sounds terrible, really! There are several articles reporting this, including this card http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19950317-1

Thanks, Serfina . Yes, I saw this one , too but I can tell you their"recap" of the details is much lighter than it really was, especially when I was one of the first hostages to have a hand grenade around my neck!

It sounds horrible. Still, after 21 years I would think that the company has changed hands, the people working there are all new and the old ones will not like to be reminded.
I think most crimes are expired after 20 years, let alone liability.
Is the price of a ticket worth all this hassle and stress?

You know( well you really don't know) I have always wanted to return and when this great deal came up, I took it before walking back down "nightmare"memory lane! yes, it is a new company and their hijacking are not frequent as they were at the time I was traveling but one would think they'd do something for me , even like I said extending my stay there(which doesn't come any $$ but their response was a firm NO!

Quite a story! Glad I've never experienced anything like that.

I'm not into Twitter but I understand that if you want to get anything done with a big company (like an airline) the best way is using Twitter or maybe Facebook. I think the companies monitor these social services for any mention of their name. I'm sure there are some nerds on this forum that could help you.

T/

Esteban, my thoughts are very simple, do not go, i repeat ''negatory'' on going back to Ethiopia, these people don't even want to remember what happened to you, but now you reminded them, which in term can be a bad thing for you once you are out there, who knows how pissed off they are by you trying to bring back the past .
Don't play russian roulette with all the bullets in the gun! I'd hate to see something bad happen to you
Was i clear on my thoughts? lol ni en pedo man

Dear Mr. de Praga,

I spoke with the officials of Ethiopan Airlines. As "$$$$-One" said, the statute of limitations has indeed expired. They will, however, for only 4,321 ETB's upgrade you to first class. Since this is a family website, I had best not say, at this time, what other "service" they will provide.

Mulatu Teshoome
President of Ethiopa

P.S. Why would you want to return to this blank country?

Back