Hiking in Patagonia

ntrombles

Registered
I would like to hike in Patagonia in January and am now starting to do some research for my trip. It would be nice to do some hiking without a guide but I am not sure if I can do the challenging hikes independently. My gear at this point consists of a decent hiking backpack, comfortable hiking shoes, and some sweaters/pullovers. I would like to do some all day hikes with beautiful views and then spend the night at various hostels. It would be nice to travel by bus and explore 2 or 3 unique spots in Patagonia. I have lots of time and a budget of about US$1000 Any suggestions???

Bariloche, the gateway to Patagonia, has great hiking trail for all abilities, there are also refuges so you don't have to carry a tent. Have a look at the my site: Trek Bariloche it details the most popular trails for the independent trekker.

If you have any questions contact me via PM on this site, or the contact page of the above site.

Laguna Toncek, by Refugio Frey:
jez-albums-bariloche-picture390-summer.jpg

Refugio Jakob:
jez-albums-bariloche-picture391-jakob.jpg

Refugio Laguna Negra:
jez-albums-bariloche-picture392-laguna-negra-view.jpg

Paso de las Nubes trail:
jez-albums-bariloche-picture393-paso-de-las-nubes.jpg

I recommend that you go to Fitz Roy (El Chaten). I been 3 times and it is quite possible to do a series of day hikes there as opposed to camping (we done it both ways and it was fun both ways; we even camped in under our tarp and people thought we were insane). Fitz Roy is the mountain that Patagonia (clothing company) uses for its logo. I cant recommend it enough. Bariloche is very beautiful too. Also, I would also consider Torre del Paines, Chile. There are shelters on that trek too but Im not sure how the reservations work because we went with our tent. (Chile is more expensive though).

Nice site Jez.

I totally agree with Vanessa, and it is possible to do the Fitz Roy walks on your own as the paths are easy to follow. I think the views in Fitz Roy are more beautiful than the views in Bariloche, but thats just me. You can do 8 or 9 hours treks during the day and then stay in comfortable hostels/hotels at night.
Doing the 'W' in Torres del Paine would be good to. If you stay in the refugios you dont need to take more than a day pack.
http://fslodges.com/en/rates-and-conditions-in-torres-del-paine.html
I would recommend going to Erratic Rock hostel and listening to Rusty's talk about doing the trek. He does it everyday at 3pm and its free. You can ask him any questions or meet people to go with. Be warned though, after listening to him you will be inspired to the the full circuit (10 days).

We did the full circuit. Glad we did; the back part (the non-W part) was amazing too.

Do go to El Chalten. Dont go to Torres Del Paine.

Thats my advice after trekking both. Found Torres a boring experience in comparisson after having done El Chalten first. Use the time you save to do some interesting things.

We're currently in El Bolson South of Bariloche and the hiking around here is amazing. We just hiked the local peak and the refugio on the way is a really cheap way to hike and sleep. We could have done this hike over two days and stayed in a refugio: http://2sporks1cup.com/?p=2299
Enjoy - it's all beautiful! :)

I'm also planning a hike in Patagonia during the summer. I have quality gear (including a three season tent that weights 1,6Kg) and a bit of experience on major European trails. Do you think I can plan a 7 to 10 hike without a guide? Is Fitz Roy the best spot for such a hike?

Robino said:
I'm also planning a hike in Patagonia during the summer. I have quality gear (including a three season tent that weights 1,6Kg) and a bit of experience on major European trails. Do you think I can plan a 7 to 10 hike without a guide? Is Fitz Roy the best spot for such a hike?

Fitz Roy is good for 2-3 days
Torres del Paine: 7+ days
Ushuaia: 4+ days? (dont know the area very well)
Bariloche: 7+ days

You can plan & hike without guide in all areas.

I am visiting both El Chalten and Torres del Pain (entire circuit) this January for 3 weeks. All of my hiking will be without guides(except 1), just a lot of research to get to that point, can be done by yourself and if you have the experience and gear for the the weather down there. Want to do ice treks, I suggest a guide, want to wander around then by all means just go. I recommend Lonely plant forum for more information on the Torres del Paine area. The only guided hike I am doing is an ice trek(no experience or gear).

I suggest the guide book Trekking in the Patagonia Andes as it not only describes all the areas mentioned above but includes some alternative places as well. For a shop to go in BA go to the Camping Center on Esmeralda, they have maps of the regions you are thinking about and some gear.

If you want torres del paine and want to stay in the refugios they are expensive, I am camping and going fishing myself in that area. El chalten I will be traveling with my wife so we are staying in a B&B and doing day hikes, but camping is an option.

Do a lot more research but get that guide book, it would have saved me a lot of time looking on the internet. Getting to those places and in between can be expensive and time consuming.

Red
Appalachian Trail, GA-ME 2010

Back