Hiking in Patagonia

Thanks to all for the advice. I have taken note of each person's post and am now starting to put the trip together. Much appreciated!

Last night I returned from five days on the W Trail in Torres del Paine. It was excellent, truly spectacular views and amazing flora and fauna. We didn't have time to do the full circuit, but by all accounts it's worth the effort. We stayed in the refugios, which were fine, though expensive and overcrowded. The food was sometimes good but caused at least two cases of seam-splitting diarrhea.

To secure a refugio bed you have to book very far in advance. It may not be possible to find space at this point in the season. Reservations are made through Vertice Patagonia (Paine Grande and Refugio Grey) and FantascticoSur (Torres Central, Refugio Chileno and Refugio Cuernos).

I have not hiked Fitzroy but everything I have heard suggests that it's even better than Torres del Paine. I see no reason to rank them. Both parks are surely life-altering experiences.

Sadly the most common fauna you will see in Torres del Paine is the drunk, obnoxious, trustafarian, fake hippie, gringo tourist from cualquier northern nation. They won't totally destroy your experience. But you may have a few sleepless nights in the refugios as they compete with one another for overpriced beer and underabundant women. Not surprisingly, your refugio dorm room will often smell as if an unwashed testicle is dangling over your dusty face while you pray for sleep to rescue you from the ridiculousness.

The two attached pics were taken as we exited the park. One was shot from the boat out of Paine Grande; the other as we drove the Y-260 towards Puerto Natales. These pics are completely unedited. The colors really are that vivid.

Attachments

• IMG_C7D_0002_4658.jpg
    IMG_C7D_0002_4658.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_C7D_0002_4542.jpg
    IMG_C7D_0002_4542.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 7
Back