Hola and a pregunta...

lomo said:
Portenos are really logically screwed up people.

cruizes said:
You summed it up very nicely.

Yep, he did.

At least 50% are as has been said by...

Fito Páez: "Da asco la mitad de Buenos Aires"
(Half of the habitants of Buenos Aires are disgusting)

He said that when they knew the outcome of the vote by the elected mayor of BA ... and I must add that he is right.

Palermo naming bothers me a litte bit. This is what I understand from talking to the Portenos whom I know.

Palermo Chico is part of Palermo Nuevo.
Palermo SOHO is part of Palermo Viejo or is Palermo Viejo.
Palermo Hollywood is part of Palermo Viejo ?
Palermo Alto is part of Palermo Nuevo.
There is a part of Palermo that near Bario Norte is just called Palermo.
Palermo Parque is part of Palermo Nuevo.

So Palermo Nuveo includes: Palermo, Palermo Alto, Palermo Parque, and Palermo Chico.
Palermo Viejo includes: Palermo SOHO, Palermo Hollywood.

wait wait, and newly named Palermo Queens !

If you live in Barrio Norte, you can tell people that you live
in Recoleta, you can also tell people that you live in Palermo.

Many taxi drivers do not know the street that separates the
Barrio Norte and Recoleta(neither do the maps), or do not know the the street that divide
the Centro and Recoleta. And of course, they certainly do not know the
Palermo areas.

And home sellers intentionally do not want to know, they advertise all
the Barrio Norte apartments as in Recoleta.

Welcome to BA and you love it !

lomo said:
Palermo naming bothers me a litte bit. This is what I understand from talking to the Portenos whom I know.

Palermo Chico is part of Palermo Nuevo.
Palermo SOHO is part of Palermo Viejo or is Palermo Viejo.
Palermo Hollywood is part of Palermo Viejo ?
Palermo Alto is part of Palermo Nuevo is part of Palermo.
There is a part of Palermo that near Barrio Norte is just called Palermo.
Palermo Parque is part of Palermo Nuevo.

So if you tell people that you live in Palermo, possibly, you
live in a section called Palermo, or in Palermo Chico, or in
Palermo Nuevo, or in Palermo Parque, or in Palermo SOHO,
or in Palermo Holywood, or in Palermo Viejo, or in Palermo Alto,

wait wait, and Palermo Queens, gee! Is that messed up or what !

All this was made up by real estate agencies to charge people (tenants and buyers-sellers alike) more commission fees and more important to confuse the hell of your supposed location.....so the meaning of location, location is only an impossible quest and dream....bastards.

elhombresinnombre said:

There you go....

Once upon a time there was a barrio it was called Palermo, but after a while the new and trendy yuppies moved into the place and then the good O'l Palermo town went for a change and become inundated (among other things) with a plethora of trendy names in order to pump up the prices and in the process lining the real estate agents pockets. Nowadays as we stand we don't know anymore were O'l Palermo town start and were bloody thing finish, all done in the name of the omnipotent dollar and their chase by the BA yuppies residents.

Lucas said:
There you go....

Once upon a time there was a barrio it was called Palermo, but after a while the new and trendy yuppies moved into the place and then the good O'l Palermo town went for a change and become inundated (among other things) with a plethora of trendy names in order to pump up the prices and in the process lining the real estate agents pockets. Nowadays as we stand we don't know anymore were O'l Palermo town start and were bloody thing finish, all done in the name of the omnipotent dollar and their chase by the BA yuppies residents.

For me there are only three Palermos . Palermo Viejo, Palermo Nuevo, and Palermo Chico . All these other Palermos are confusing

Palermo Madison, Palermo Sencillo, Alto Palermo , Palermo Hollywood etc etc.

monjela said:
ok - thanks everyone for all your different opinions.

I think I'll gamble with San Telmo -- although not sure if I'm that much of a risk taker ...or a lady ;) I do like the sound of small, neighbourhood feel.

I spent 6 months travelling in Colombia/Ecuador/Honduras/El Salvador/Guatemala/Mexico 20 years ago (was robbed at gunpoint in Columbia but it's still one of my favourite countries) and then spent another fantastic month in Cuba + Mexico 2 years ago. I'm not into danger but am aware enough to "hopefully" avoid any situations.

Maybe see some of you around for a drink/mate if you want to venture to the otherside sometime. :D
Did you bring HOTSAUCE???!!
Lots of great advice, San Telmo is great and not more or less dangerous than Palermo. Seems of late there has been more violent crimes happening in Palermo, overall the city seems safer than the Gold Coast on a Friday night
"ojo" and enjoy!

Since when is Palermo of parts of it cheap? And you forgot to add posh, yuppies & brainless to the qualification of people living there.
Though: Palermo is a very typical porteño place: people living there think they r special and therefore they r arrogant and conchetas.
Shops there think they r trendy and therefore they think they may ask first world prices for crap and old services and goods.

Back