Hola

soulskier said:
I would respectfully disagree that BA is more expensive than most cities. QR did a great post on the cost of living, it can be found here. http://paddyinba.blogspot.com/2008/11/cost-of-living-in-buenos-aires.html

Furthermore, in the last few months the peso has been creeping up, making the dollar about 10% stronger.

Lastly, insurance with OSDE is costing 517 pesos these days. It is my understanding that price is for everyone over 36.

I basing my statement on the Mercer International COL stats. If you look at Mercer International COL stats then B.A. is more expensive than the average U.S. city. The quote for insurance from the site you mentioned is not correct. The wife has Swissmedical, the November 2008 bill was $294. Don't know for OSDE but Swissmedical increases the charge at age 66. My guess is OSDE does as well. With inflation I would guess it would be closer to $400 a month in 2009.

This is not neccessarily a show stopper for retirees but a couple over 65 next year will have to spend $800 a month for health insurance there. Back home they have medicare or insurance through their former employer as in this gentlemens case.

As far as I know the other costs quoted on this site are correct but the basket of goods they have selected are very limited, a lot of things there cost more and are often of inferior quality.

If a retired couple is looking to save money the extra $800 a month they would have to spend on healthcare would probably make B.A. more expensive than back home. This would be a hard one for most retirees to overcome and will probably limit the number of retirees living there.

What is the average U.S. city a town of 25,000 or 50,000? I think the health insurance is going up along with other prices. But if the dollar to peso ratio works in his favor than he can live a "good" life here.
Of course if you want to retire on the cheap move to a small a** town in the US somewhere...although you won't have much in the way of "culture".

criswkh said:
What is the average U.S. city a town of 25,000 or 50,000? I think the health insurance is going up along with other prices. But if the dollar to peso ratio works in his favor than he can live a "good" life here.
Of course if you want to retire on the cheap move to a small a** town in the US somewhere...although you won't have much in the way of "culture".

I don't know what the average city size is in the U.S. You are correct he can live a good life there, as he could in the U.S. as well. I have lived there and now live in a major metropolitan area in the U.S. I don't see that much difference in the cost between there and here.

Healthcare costs are of course going up everywhere. Medicare here in 2009 will still be under a $100 a month, there someone over 65 is probably going to pay close to $400. I know in my case I maintained my medicare coverage in the states so what I paid there was totally incremental. Next year that would be close to $800 a month, something a lot of retirees would be concerned with.

I think you are right about less culture in smaller towns and cities, however, an exception I think are University or college towns. Many of these places can be fairly small but the university brings in a lot of things that does provide a rich cultural life.

Stanexpat said:
I basing my statement on the Mercer International COL stats. If you look at Mercer International COL stats then B.A. is more expensive than the average U.S. city. The quote for insurance from the site you mentioned is not correct. The wife has Swissmedical, the November 2008 bill was $294. Don't know for OSDE but Swissmedical increases the charge at age 66. My guess is OSDE does as well. With inflation I would guess it would be closer to $400 a month in 2009.

Stanley, at 517 pesos a month, that is US$156/month. I am under the impression the rate stays the same with OSDE, who we are very pleased with. So, not too sure where your getting your US$400/month in 2009.

soulskier said:
Stanley, at 517 pesos a month, that is US$156/month. I am under the impression the rate stays the same with OSDE, who we are very pleased with. So, not too sure where your getting your US$400/month in 2009.

It wouldn't be for you unless you are over 65. I never had OSDE but Swissmedical which I assume is close in cost to OSDE. My wife still has Swissmedical, the last bill for November was $294, we got hit with a big increase on her 66 birthday(don't let her know I told how old she is). I am assuming in 2009 the rates will increase 25-30% and therefor the cost in a month or so is going up to close to $400.

Stanexpat said:
It wouldn't be for you unless you are over 65. I never had OSDE but Swissmedical which I assume is close in cost to OSDE. My wife still has Swissmedical, the last bill for November was $294, we got hit with a big increase on her 66 birthday(don't let her know I told how old she is). I am assuming in 2009 the rates will increase 25-30% and therefor the cost in a month or so is going up to close to $400.

Oh, that makes perfect sense.:rolleyes:

dennisr,

It is indeed refreshing to hear from someone with your attitude. I've been in BA 2.5 years. Prior to that I lived in Sayulita, Mexico for 5.5 years. I don't even miss the beach and I certainly don't miss the whining US tourists. I certainly don't miss Chicago, either. I'm now 58.5 and I have not become jaded to the life here or have any desire to flee.

I find BA much cheaper in many ways than Mexico or the US. Fresh fruit is a bit higher here than in the US, but the beef is still reasonable (even thought it has increased in price in the past two years). Pasta, beer and wine are still really cheap. Utilities (scheduled to increase in 2009) are still very cheap, and if you have a small apartment the taxes can be very low (even though ABL tripled last year my total annual tax bill is less than $200 US).

Original art here is "almost free"....if you know where to shop (not in the galleries or at the major exhibitions). For me at least, being surrounded by great art certainly enhances that "renaissance-romantic era thing" you mentioned.

I have met Argentine individuals who do not overcharge and have Argentine friends who are very concerned that I do not get cheated or take "innocente" risks, especially in business.

I have learned to speak castellano with a bit of the local accent, and that does make difference, but they all know I am a foreigner as soon as I open my mouth.

BTW: Expats can do a LOT better than 517 (ppm) in a group insurance plan...including overseas trip protection...perhaps even up to the age of 70.

Thank You:

Have no idea what expectations others have, but from this old bird’s perspective, BA is a bargain. My big deal is treating myself to some good grub. I ate at quality restaurants where the tab for dinner would have been the gratuity in the USA. One little item that just blew me away, Pastries. Could not help but notice all the pastry shops, like two in each block. Had to check them out. I got a sugar/chocolate fix that is off the charts for something like 10p. The way the lady wrapped the damn things was worth $5.00 US. Hated to open the package, but once a junky always a junky.

Even with the cost of health insurance for over 66's I believe cost of living here can be considerably cheaper than the US. It depends on how you are living.

If you are 66+ you're probably not buying a lot of clothes - those can be expensive here.

You can buy an apartment in non touristy area outright for the equivalent of the 15% deposit down payment in the USA. If you want a penthouse in Recoleta or Palermo or Puerto Madero then expect to pay the same as USA or more.

I see posts on this forum about people quoting 200 pesos u$s70 per person for a meal as reasonable? If you want to eat in upscale / expat tourist traps then NO you're money won't go further than in say Florida USA.

If you're prepared to explore a little and ask the locals then the quality is just as good and often much better at a fraction of the cost. My rule of thumb is if the menu says Bife de Lomo for more than a$32 pesos - walk on by!

Lunch - Menu Ejecutivo costs a$22peso in several restaurants in Puerto Madero (a bling bling neighbourhood) incl main course a drink and desert or coffee. - you can buy a coffee and little else for that price in New York

I've lived in London and New york but my groceries here are a fraction of what I paid in those cities.

Electronics are expensive here but just bring those with you.

go and visit Soulskiers turf in Bariloche - you will never see scenery quite like it anywhere else!

Back