Homeschooling in Buenos Aires

BednBreakfast said:
I'm homeschooling, my eldest is about to turn 4...how old are your children Risu?

I too have an almost 5-year-old boy and 3-year-old boy and will be homeschooling (I use that term loosely though). Do you have a preschool curriculum? I am interested in the Christopherus (Waldorf). We are non-religious, Unitarianish. There are several Waldorf schools in the area but none have parent-child courses that I am aware of. The only option is to drop your child off for the day and they don't speak English. Anybody who has experience with the Waldorf schools, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks!
Cindy

I live in Argentina and also home school my daughter. I have ordered Education Live (Waldorf Method) from the states and do it here. I agree with Camberiu. I had put my daughter into preschool last year and really didn't like it. Too cultural. Let me know if you want to meet to get some ideas and talk about other holistic things:)
Adhya

Lclc23, re. your comment, in UK if you don't get your child in state school by 4, you miss the reception entry year and then lose out on a decent school for the duration of primary as there are no places offered after that unless a child leaves. Just mentioning this as culturally, 4 is considered old not to be attending school in UK.

BednBreakfast said:
Lclc23, re. your comment, in UK if you don't get your child in state school by 4, you miss the reception entry year and then lose out on a decent school for the duration of primary as there are no places offered after that unless a child leaves. Just mentioning this as culturally, 4 is considered old not to be attending school in UK.

In the British Soyuz, 12 months is considered too old not to be attending school.

Some sources on how vitally important home schooling is,
Freedom and the Exceptional Child
http://celiagreen.blogspot.com.ar/search/label/Education

"From a very early age I had to interrupt my education to go to school" - some misguided poet

My child is seven, attended a local private school since she was 3 & now wish I had kept her home. Looked into Waldorf school here and though we have great respect for the method, didn't think this particular school was properly funded. Adhya, would be very interested in meeting to exchange ideas & share information about other holistic things.
I would be willing to host at my house. Anyone interested?? Please PM me.

Just a brief input here. My children are ages 41 and 43. I home schooled when there was a battle going on in the US to try to force homeschool parents back into school. I got rescued because I knew a congressman (who you know works in the States as well) who called our county supt and told him to leave me alone. I had a very innovative teacher as a counselor with my kids. She led me into a type of home school that I had problems with because it was so different from what I was used to.

It consisted of doing what the child was interested in. I have a longer story behind this-- bringing an A student out of a situation where she hated to learn and made her grades by rote. Except for math (which I insisted on) they were allowed to follow their interests. Both were honor students in college. My daughter was one of the first home school children to enter college in Michigan and it caused quite a stir, though she had taken the entrance exam before they found out she had not been in "school." I was excluded while they phoned the superintendent of schools but I heard them say on the phone, "Well, she did VERY well on the entrance exam." And she was admitted as a student at age 16. And that was all letting her follow her own interest. We had no curriculum, just a set of encyclopedias and our friendly librarian. (No home computers then). Saved a bundle on textbooks! ;D. Just a thought for you home school parents. My kids both LOVE TO LEARN because they learned to love it from being able to learn what interested them. Both are still learners. Mission accomplished!

Hi! We're a Canadian family living in BA for the year, home schooling our 9-year-old twin boys. (I'm actually a certified teacher.) Looking for other 8-12 year olds to get together once a week or so with for Art, Music or other.

Drop me a line if you are interested in hooking up.

About the four year old, I and my sister home schooled. We never went by what "school" did or what level they were. My nephew started reading around four.. We worked with the kids on what they were interested in. When my nephew was 5, our sister-in-law, disapproving, wanted to hear my nephew read, showed us the word on the page that she told us ahead of time he would miss. It was one of those words made of of 2 or 3 words that she claimed was too far ahead of the capability of a 5-year-old--like cowboy or something like that. He took it and read right over it, didn't even hesitate. If they're ready to read and have fun doing it, I say teach them to read! If not, then don't. My own daughter entered college, passed the entrance exam with flying colors and we never followed a curriculum.

Home school is fun, the kids are wayyyyyyy smarter. Statistically they test two years ahead of kids in public school (in the States, don't know about here).

Back