Homeschooling

Not all home schooling is religion-based.

That may be technically true, but there's no denying that religion is--by a long shot--the main motive for homeschooling.

... frankly I could care less about anyone else's opinion.

You're perfectly welcome to ignore mine, but if I was an expat with kids I'd think the benefit to them of immersion in another language and culture would far outweigh any concerns about reintegration upon the return home.

Anywhere, a good way to guarantee your kid an inferior education.
This is a joke right?
You have any idea of how much I have to UNTEACH my kid every day? The school system in Argentina is RIFE with state doctrine. They teach opinion and patriotism to the flavour of the day government before anything else. My kid knows more biased Argentine history than most adult Argentine. We've heard of, and experienced attitudes of teachers who are openly hostile to foreigners and/or neutral fact-base to be replaced with their personal old-wives tales and campora-like propaganda.
This is the deal-breaker that would impel me to force the issue with my wife and leave Argentina for good. I've been tolerant up until now, but every time my daughter comes home spewing doctrine I want to explode. Home schooling would be soooooo much better than the way the state wastes time and infringes on my rights as a parent.

That may be technically true, but there's no denying that religion is--by a long shot--the main motive for homeschooling.

And other than stating the obvious, your point is? I never said anything about percentages. The fact is, not all home schooling is based on religion. Ajo has a reason for posting obtuse comments. What's your excuse.

You realize this is a forum about expats living in Buenos Aires, right?

In my specific situation, my daughter would literally start school for about 3 months then we would head home to a different school calendar, so its just a pain. She is currently in a number of "classes" and I agree that the immersion, cultural experience, language skills are a huge plus. I would also argue when the time comes if we extend our stay in BA we could easily home-school and still get her involved in all these things for the "experience".

She is still young, and funny enough her first word was Hola... which she yells proudly at every passing person, dog and colectivo with a huge wave and a smile! Something tells me she is going to think her name is Linda...

Yes, we spend a lot of time traveling to and from different countries, so it is convenient for our family's lifestyle and so far has worked well. I have nothing against public education and support it, but for our family at this time, it works for us. We have no problems immersing our children in either culture since my wife is from Argentina and I from Texas myself (they spend substantial time with our families wherever we are), so we have stuck with this for now. The nice part about living in Argentina is that there are so many social clubs and cheap activities that can be paid where children can do activities with other children, and get involved socially. Our family is able to do it and we are seeing benefits. If you want to do it but are afraid of teaching, there are also online programs that are pretty amazing.

Although my reasons for homeschooling children are not religious, is there a problem with homeschooling your children for religious reasons? I thought we lived in Western democracies, where freedom of religion is protected.

Ajo has a reason for posting obtuse comments. What's your excuse.

Not an obtuse comment. If it wasn't for the efforts of homeschooling lobbies--many of which are religious in nature--homeschooling wouldn't exist in many places. These lobbies have had a far-reaching (and in my opinion negative) influence, affecting issues as seemingly unrelated as the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (or specifically the US Senate's failure to ratify same).

I am fortunate to come from a country with excellent public schools and very low rates of homeschooling and private school attendance. But it ought to be self evident that in places with less successful education systems, encouraging the fortunate or advantaged kids to opt out is only going to make the situation worse.

You realize this is a forum about expats living in Buenos Aires, right?

That's precisely why I said that as an expat I'd take advantage of that opportunity for my kids. It's not likely that the children of short stay expats are at much risk of becoming indoctrinated Peronists lol.

In my specific situation, my daughter would literally start school for about 3 months then we would head home to a different school calendar,

Ahh, when you said "specific time frame" earlier, I had no idea it was that short. That's just a long vacation, so certainly not worth enrolling in local schools.

Not an obtuse comment. If it wasn't for the efforts of homeschooling lobbies--many of which are religious in nature--homeschooling wouldn't exist in many places. These lobbies have had a far-reaching (and in my opinion negative) influence, affecting issues as seemingly unrelated as the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (or specifically the US Senate's failure to ratify same).

I am fortunate to come from a country with excellent public schools and very low rates of homeschooling and private school attendance. But it ought to be self evident that in places with less successful education systems, encouraging the fortunate or advantaged kids to opt out is only going to make the situation worse.

That's precisely why I said that as an expat I'd take advantage of that opportunity for my kids. It's not likely that the children of short stay expats are at much risk of becoming indoctrinated Peronists lol.

Let me get this straight: you think it is the government's right to tell me what is the best way to raise my children? A group of people that have no insight in my daily family life know better than me what is best for my children? I find that frightening.

How have such lobbies had such a negative influence? Please explain.

And no one is encouraging fortunate or advantaged kids to opt out of anything. Where are you getting this? How about kids that have special needs like autism or handicaps? Should they also have the right to homeschool taken away?

All children are indoctrinated with something in schools. That my be good or bad. But as a parent, if I do not want to indoctrinate my children in a school, then it is my right, as a parent, not to. Not sure what your problem is there.

I'm wondering from your comments if you are a parent or not.

Back