Hospital for an uncomplicated surgery

igor

Administrator
A friend of mine needs an uncomplicated surgery. (I will not go into details, but it is about as common as appendix removal, non-emergency, not life threatening etc). He does not have any insurance. Hospital Aleman quoted him about 5,000 USD for the procedure. Can you recommend a hospital in the Greater Buenos Aires area that is good for relatively simple things but not so expensive?

Thanks.

Try Hospital Italiano in Almagro, they have excellent doctors and are comparatively cheaper than HA. You can also try Clinica San Camilo or CEMIC

nikad said:
Try Hospital Italiano in Almagro, they have excellent doctors and are comparatively cheaper than HA. You can also try Clinica San Camilo or CEMIC

Three good choices. The Italiano's building is older that the Aleman but it is better equipped. The San Camilo is a smaller hospital run by an Italian order of nursing nuns - has the feel of a cloister - quiet and pleasant. Very good, too.

Even for minor surgery it is wise to go to a really good hospital. Three people I know died of complications following simple hernia operations. This was NOT in any of the hospitals mentioned.

The public hospitals depending on the surgery needed are free, you only pay por the needles and stuff. i don't know what your friend needs, but depending on that is the hospital he would have to go to. If you decide to go to a public hospital, feel free to ask me where he might need to go, and I might be able to get you all the info you need. Pm me

Georginar said:
The public hospitals depending on the surgery needed are free, you only pay por the needles and stuff. i don't know what your friend needs, but depending on that is the hospital he would have to go to. If you decide to go to a public hospital, feel free to ask me where he might need to go, and I might be able to get you all the info you need. Pm me
This is true, although it might take several months on a waiting list ( in some cases over a year ) but still free 100%

nikad said:
This is true, although it might take several months on a waiting list ( in some cases over a year ) but still free 100%
I know, but I work in the health ministry here so I might be able to help him somehow. Not 100% sure, but i can try... what I can do is tell him who he needs to talk to, in case he decides to go ahead...

In general the doctors here are very good, even in the private hospitals. Many with health insurance prefer to go to a public hospital. The problem with the public hospitals is not that the doctors are bad, they're excellent, but that the equipment is old and you have to get in line at 5 or 6am to get a number to come back and get an appointment. The top public hospital is Hospital Fernandez. Hospital Clinicas is very good. As far as private hospitals I've heard that Centro Diagnostico and Swiss Hospital are amongst the top. Followed by Hospital Aleman and Hospital Italiano and Hospital Otamendi is extremely good. It looks like a hotel inside. My father-in-law was operated on in Hospital Otamendi last year. Clinica de Sol is also very, very good.

Among physicians, the top rated hospitals are the private Hospital Italiano and the public Hospital de Clinicas. They have the best doctors and the best equipment, although the buildings are old and not up to the Otamendi's standards of elegance.

I agree that hospital feels like a hotel - the cafeteria is lovely.

Back