Hourly wage for cleaner...

Starting November 2010, the minimum govt mandated wage for domestic workers is $12.63 per hour plus benefits. Every year, around november, they increase the wages (average 22% per year, for the last 3 years). For live-in house keepers the min monthly salary is $1,847.63. For full time (8hrs/day, goes home) housekeepers is $1,657.50. For part-time (4 hrs/day) is $828.75.

But IMHO, thats not a livable wage. I agree with Perry about a dignified wage, and we pay a lot more than that. Our housekeeper has been with us for 5 years and she's become family to us.

I thought we were only talking about pesos/hr. But yes, I also give my cleaning lady transportation, lunch, plus two weeks holiday and an extra week pay at Christmas. And she brings me bread when she makes it. It's yummy! I could be bribed to give you some of it. ;)

I pay her $14 per hour, 4 hrs per day x twice a week plus she works extra hours in my studio when it needs to be re-organized, which sadly it is more often than it should be.

She hasn't asked for a raise yet. But I will raise it to 15 in March.

I spoke to a cleaning lady who works in San Telmo houses last November. She asked for $15 per hour and said that she was going to ask for $20 from January 2011 because of the government's decision related to it.

mini said:
I thought we were only talking about pesos/hr. But yes, I also give my cleaning lady transportation, lunch, plus two weeks holiday and an extra week pay at Christmas. And she brings me bread when she makes it. It's yummy! I could be bribed to give you some of it. ;)

I pay her $14 per hour, 4 hrs per day x twice a week plus she works extra hours in my studio when it needs to be re-organized, which sadly it is more often than it should be.

Since we´re playing the laundry list of benefits on the 14.50 rate + viaticos, we also pay aguinaldo (13th salary), 3 weeks holiday as she is with us 6 years, 2 week´s pay at Christmas, 1 week extra holiday pay, birthday and Chrsitmas presents and my brownies on a regular basis just to show her what a sticky brownie really should taste like. We call that the Nigella bonus and it is priceless:D
Whilst I know Perry you will feel this is too little at $2900 a month we feel this is a very very valid salary when there are admins working in our company earning less..and they have university degrees. We need to keep perspective and as long as there is respect and understanding ebtween employer and employee I think it´s win win.

SaraSara said:
Foreigners pay twenty dollars - Argentines don't.

Sara

Im only a newbie so at the risk of sounding atronising wecome back..this country is so crazy it´s nice to have some solid things to add stability and security: like you and French Jurist on baexpats. I always enjoy your posts..and now FJs missing in action too..
A fan:eek:

Hello, fifs2...

Thank you for your kind words. It's so nice not to be attacked...!:):)

Sara

Back