How an Argentine Can Get a Bank Account in the USA

Jaredberryman

Registered
I am in the USA with some Argentine family members visiting. They want to set up an Argentina bank account, however, they reside in Argentina. Banks here seem to ask for a proof of residence. However, they obviously don't have proof, because they are not residents. I know a ton of Argentines have US bank accounts that don't reside in the USA.

Anyone know how this is done for non-residents?

In some places, like Miami or New York, people know which branch to go to and which customer service person to speak with to get an account opened. You can find this information in specialized forums or channels (but not here).

I think everywhere else, it's pretty much impossible.

Agreeing with @lunar's post, and adding two potential points of interests:

1) They can open a Wise (formerly Transferwise) account with their Argentine documents and if staying in the US for a bit longer, will be able to receive the card sent to any/your US address. Wise has several currency accounts built in and can perform ACH and Swift transfers like a normal bank, and the card can be used like a debit card and draw from the dollar account.

2) They may be able to be added to a US resident's account as a co-owner of the account even without residence.

Otherwise, yes, I would consult something like Reddit or a specialized forum for this type of information.

If they get an ITIN from the IRS, it will be much easier for them to open an account from the get go. As Lunar said, they'll need to go in person to a branch most likely, and it's important to know that their account info will be shared w/AFIP per the US-Argentine financial sharing treaty Massa signed.

RE: Wise Alfred, I've heard from numerous Argentines that they've been rejected, being told account openings in the US specifically (not Spain or Italy though) are on hold for Argentine citizens.

RE: Wise Alfred, I've heard from numerous Argentines that they've been rejected, being told account openings in the US specifically (not Spain or Italy though) are on hold for Argentine citizens.
Ah,. well..as recently as mid 2023 i helped a few locals get set up with Wise, though sans the card, i believe. Perhaps it may still be worth a shot if other avenues fail.

Agreeing with @lunar's post, and adding two potential points of interests:

1) They can open a Wise (formerly Transferwise) account with their Argentine documents and if staying in the US for a bit longer, will be able to receive the card sent to any/your US address. Wise has several currency accounts built in and can perform ACH and Swift transfers like a normal bank, and the card can be used like a debit card and draw from the dollar account.

2) They may be able to be added to a US resident's account as a co-owner of the account even without residence.

Otherwise, yes, I would consult something like Reddit or a specialized forum for this type of information.
Be careful with item #2.

A few years ago, I added my Argentine wife to my account online. I received a notice a couple days later that the bank was closing my account (of 20 years) immediately. With a 3 hour call to the states I was just barely able to undo adding her to the account before they cancelled it. (USAA Federal Savings Bank)

In some places, like Miami or New York, people know which branch to go to and which customer service person to speak with to get an account opened. You can find this information in specialized forums or channels (but not here).

I think everywhere else, it's pretty much impossible.

I don't think it's at all impossible. I know someone in Paraguay who did it using a Wyoming (?) registration of some kind. He is however an EU citizen if I recall correctly. No idea how easy or hard it will be for an Argentinian.

I think you'd have a good chance at one of the larger banks in the US (Chase, BoA etc), small community banks definitely not as a tourist only. I know someone that opened an account at Chase with no SSN and not even an ITIN

I am in the USA with some Argentine family members visiting. They want to set up an Argentina bank account, however, they reside in Argentina. Banks here seem to ask for a proof of residence. However, they obviously don't have proof, because they are not residents. I know a ton of Argentines have US bank accounts that don't reside in the USA.

Anyone know how this is done for non-residents?
It is very easy, or at least for me it was. I have done it myself in California and am not a US citizen. Opened one last year. Make an appointment or walk-in off the street (Chase, USBank, BoA), have an interview with a banker explaining why you need it, fill out the forms, pay the minimum deposit and some weeks later the card arrives in the mail in Argentina. You can even get a secured US credit card with some banks if the Argentine resident wants a card for spending abroad with.

For those with higher balances or investment products, some private banks in Argentina also will open a US bank account for you remotely and you can get a US amex card remotely too. No need to be a resident, have an ITIN or SSN.

All Argentine residents with US bank accounts need to be aware that the IRS is now sharing account holder details with AFIP automatically from September.

Back