How an Argentine Can Get a Bank Account in the USA

Excellent information, BoA now will open a bank account for someone without a US address, no legal US residency, and with Argentine address.

So glad requirements have changed at BoA, many here were required to provide a US address or face cancellation of the account
Ojo, from memory the they did ask for a US address to set up the account, can be friends or family, but this can be different to the correspondence mailing address you register which can be anywhere in the world.

Ojo, from memory the they did ask for a US address to set up the account, can be friends or family, but this can be different to the correspondence mailing address you register which can be anywhere in the world.
Excellent, so it requires a US Address, your mail can be forwarded elsewhere..!

All Argentine residents with US bank accounts need to be aware that the IRS is now sharing account holder details with AFIP automatically from September.
Does this mean that if I get a DNI (as a US citizen) I’ll now be on the AFIP radar as they’ll get my tax returns and bank info?

Does this mean that if I get a DNI (as a US citizen) I’ll now be on the AFIP radar as they’ll get my tax returns and bank info?
I think it depends more on the country of residence you tell the IRS and/ or your bank - if it is listed as "Argentina" then it gets swept up in the automatic data dumps delivered to AFIP.
It is in no way a targeted hunt for DNI holders in the US which is after all just one of hundreds of other countries on earth where Argentine residents could have their money...

(In theory these kinds of data exchange agreements create a catch 0.22 for money launderers and tax evaders by putting the banks in the front seat. If you list your country of residence as the USA then you'll risk the IRS demanding its share of your taxes, or more likely than that, your bank closing your account for fraud and suspected money laundering by claiming you're a resident of X country when you're not when they detect the dots not connecting).

...catch 0.22...
220px-Catch22.jpg

not catch 0.22 ;)

I think it must be more difficult in Texas.
I think it depends on the bank criteria for identification. Los Angeles for example is a sanctuary city that provides undocumented the ability to get a state ID/Drivers License. With the state ID, ITIN and a local address you should be able to open a bank account at a major bank that shares branches in Texas (e.g. BofA). Texas on the other hand appears to offer state ID/Drivers Licenses only to valid Visa holders if you aren't a permanent resident. Texas has a lot of foreign nationals from Mexico, I would assume an unexpired passport might work. Check with your local branch.

Back