How are people in BA surviving with this lockdown and recession?

Fiscal

Registered
I get in the interior people are going back to normal. But in BA?

If I look past the shining sun, my full refrigerator and pleasant views from my warm living room, it’s actually rather bleak.

Although some commerce is starting to reopen, there are a lot of “for lease” signs up everywhere and shuttered premises. More cartoneros on the street. More homeless families on the street. More break-ins, shootings and armed robberies especially in the suburbs. Government are asking private companies for food donations. Soup kitchens are maxed out.

A shopping mall in CABA has reopened but you need a reservation to enter a store. Have noticed some cafes that are open for takeaway keep the lights turned off to save power, obviously only a fraction of normal turnover and since they can’t reduce salaries or suspend staff they need to save other costs.

People are disregarding social distancing rules as they have had enough. This weekend in Palermo the parks were full, full, full - picnics, football, running, kids, grown ups, you name it. Bars in the Arcos are open for “takeaway” and popular in early evening. Police don’t even bother anymore. You can only practice policies of oppression for so long before things boil over and human nature kicks in.

i buy all kinds of stuff online. i cook a bunch. i have netflix, hulu, sports, and of course work. i bought a rowing machine.

the only thing i really don't have is the ability to fly out of here on vacation.

I'm doing just fine.

Well, for me the Pandemic was a gift.
I was working too much and it gave the chance to an extra month of vacation that I used to sleep 15 hours a day until Court began to improve the work on line plus I had a baby and I can be with her and my wife full time.
My only fear is we have one central market in this city and if it get closed we are going to lack vegetables, so I’m farming tomatos, kale, letucces, sparagus among other.

I believe this is like the tide retreating before the tsunami.
As stores remain closed, economic activity almost paralyzed and bleeding thousands of irretribable jobs every day, the time will come when we realize that the new normal in the making is very unpleasant.

Poverty and crime will own the streets. All of them.

Back in Menem's days, the powers that be tried to make private security a flourishing business. Theirs.
Most agencies belonged or include retired police brass.
They started with the closed countries and exclusive neighborhoods, then banking and shoppings. There was a time when they flourished everywhere. They created their business, from both ends...

It would not surprise me if we are heading towards a rebirth of those days, somehow.
Undoubtly, security and personal safety will become a new trend for those who can afford it.

BTDT.

Iz

I am out walking every day in different neighborhoods. I have observed many more young-to-middle aged persons smoking cannabis outdoors than prior to the quarantine. Not that I care...but I get a whiff of marijuana and start sneezing.

I am out walking every day in different neighborhoods. I have observed many more young-to-middle aged persons smoking cannabis outdoors than prior to the quarantine. Not that I care...but I get a whiff of marijuana and start sneezing.
The cannabis I smell on the streets is so low quality. It smells like Mexican dirt weed from the 70s. No wonder you sneeze. Definitely not sinsemilla.

Is cannabis legal here? It is now legal in Uruguay
Per Wikipedia...This page was last edited on 27 April 2020, at 10:54 (UTC).
Cultivating, selling and transporting large amounts is illegal and punishable by present laws.[2]
Medical cannabis has been legal in Chubut since September 23, 2016, [3] and in Santa Fe since November 30, 2016. [4]
On March 29, 2017, the Argentine senate approved the medical use of CBD cannabis oil,[5][6][7] and was promulgated on September 21, 2017.[8]

22 January 2020
Legal cannabis: the Government is already thinking about a project to decriminalize possession and self-cultivation for adult use
From various areas of the Executive, mainly Security, they study the models of countries and States that have already regulated the use of marijuana or have ongoing discussions. They consider that the current legislation generates unnecessary expenses by persecuting the consumer and executing unfair arrests....

Back