How are things in Argentina?

A lot of how is it in Argentina depends upon your point of reference. Inflation effects everybody but depends on your circumstances. People with low incomes worry about putting enough food on the table to avoid starving, people with more resources decide to what has to be cut to stay within budget. Most of the posting here are in the more resources group. An example are friends of my who use to eat out 3 or 4 times a week now to save money have all their meals at home. This has probably resulted in some weight loss for the couple so the effects of inflation on them have not been entirely negative. Besides inflation imported goods have or are in the process of disappearing. Another friend went shopping for a new vacuum cleaner, a pretty mundane task with the main problem in most places being deciding between a dozen or so types and manufacturers on display, here in Argentina they have made it much easier for her. All the imported brands are no longer available and only a single brand (made in Argentina) was available. Although it simplified her choice she complained that the Argentine brand seemed old-fashioned in design and inferior in quality. She didn't seem to think her increased ease of shopping compensated adequately for her loss of choice.

I have noticed that some things have disappeared from supermarket shelves, or will be gone for a couple of weeks then come back again - usually more expensive. Plan old nescafe coffee went from my local disco for a couple of weeks, also the cheap milk i buy at coto i hardly ever see anymore - maybe its because everyone else is buying it so its runs out quickly.

I agree with DavidGlen77 about dia. I buy most of the basics there, and its often 20 to 30% cheaper. Some of the bigger dia's even have good fruit and veges.

I am doing alot of shopping-around now, and it can save alot over a month.

I'll be returning to BA for 2 months, starting in late May, and am stocking up in preparation. I've already bought 2 kilos of raw almonds (€7.90) and 2.5 kilos of coffee (€10) in order to avoid the rape that is buying those items in Argentina. Next up: chocolate aisle.

Now I just have to hope that no one confiscates my swag at Ezeiza customs :eek:

Sleuth said:
Was in Chinatown yesterday and the melon ice cream bars were sold out everywhere - no doubt due to import restrictions. A jar of peanut butter was also $28,50 now...

I agree with gpop too. We now use Coto online and have them deliver on the day that they offer 20% off with our bank credit card. It's a huge savings over our local Disco prices. We also started using http://www.labaratadelcentral.com.ar/ for some cheap fruits and vegetables.
I was thinking of just using coto online myself because its such a PIA to go to the stores and wait in line for hours but I noticed pretty much every price Coto Digital is 20% more than in the stores! What a joke!

Back