How can I locate a friend who seems to have disappeared?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris

Registered
I have lost touch with a USA citizen friend who was living in Poland. Regular emails stopped a few months ago. I don't have a phone number. He is married and I sent a letter to his home. No response. He was depressed and I am worried about possible suicide. Any ideas about how I could find out if he's even alive?

Social media, simple google search, reach out to friends and family. Maybe email the US embassy in Poland, not sure they would respond due to privacy issues but you never know.

How good of a friend is this person if you don't have his phone number, don't know any relatives of his, and don't have any friends in common who you could ask about his well-being? Sounds more like he ghosted you.

The expat board abroad is a very good idea.

One of the worst days of my life was the infamous 9/11.
Previous day my parents told me they were flying to NYC. Their arrival time closely matched the Towers attack and they used to stay at the Sheraton/Hilton (?) Millenium at ground zero but time they went to another hotel.
When the first info reached us i got desperate. This lasted over 4 hours of desperation and fear.
Comms with NYC were broken.
I went to a board I used to frequent and contacted a user with NYC as part of his handle. He gracefully located my parents and me within a couple of hours. They were fine but shocked, they were walking around Canal St. when the planes crashed.
The hotel front desk didn't have them registered since they had arrived quite early that day. Awful day.

You might get lucky and find someone willing to help that can go knock on the door for you.

GL

Iz

How good of a friend is this person if you don't have his phone number, don't know any relatives of his, and don't have any friends in common who you could ask about his well-being? Sounds more like he ghosted you.

Does it matter how "good" a friend he is? He was a colleague of mine for six years. We kept a steady correspondence going. He did not like phone conversations and I never insisted on his phone. I sent a letter to his home which his wife would have seen, assuming it arrived. I am concerned for his welfare. That's all.

The expat board abroad is a very good idea.

One of the worst days of my life was the infamous 9/11.
Previous day my parents told me they were flying to NYC. Their arrival time closely matched the Towers attack and they used to stay at the Sheraton/Hilton (?) Millenium at ground zero but time they went to another hotel.
When the first info reached us i got desperate. This lasted over 4 hours of desperation and fear.
Comms with NYC were broken.
I went to a board I used to frequent and contacted a user with NYC as part of his handle. He gracefully located my parents and me within a couple of hours. They were fine but shocked, they were walking around Canal St. when the planes crashed.
The hotel front desk didn't have them registered since they had arrived quite early that day. Awful day.

You might get lucky and find someone willing to help that can go knock on the door for you.

GL

Iz

Thanks for your comments. You had a real scare. I know the feeling and it's horrible. You are in a state of constant anxiety.

Social media, simple google search, reach out to friends and family. Maybe email the US embassy in Poland, not sure they would respond due to privacy issues but you never know.

I have never found US embassies or consulates helpful, to tell you the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back