How Cristina Got Elected

PaulBee

Registered
This is a bi-lingula mini video about how Cristina got elected in 2007. I don´t
claim to know how accurate the video is. What got my attention was 50 pesos being
worth about 15 dollars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xliGs3DAP3g

And in most other civilised countries this news would lead to the fall of the government. Here, no pass nada.

Interesting job - let's see, you're working for both sides, in a country where the vote is obligatory. Everybody you talk to will be at the voting booth anyway, so you're really just convincing them to fold the ballot a certain way with the incentive of a kickback. Where do I sign up????

Pretty sure this is how any president has been elected here, as they say in the video they don't give a shit either way.

I'm confused. How exactly does this work? Do they fill out the ballots for you? Most places you fill out the ballots inside the polling station.

I'm confused. How exactly does this work? Do they fill out the ballots for you? Most places you fill out the ballots inside the polling station.
If I understood correctly, when they go to the ballot booth to vote, they fill it out, and fold it in some fancy way like origami to indicate that the vote-buying guy sent them. I guess somewhere down the line somebody is in a position to see the ballots and recognize the folding pattern. And of course I'm sure they're 100% honest in tallying them.

If I understood correctly, when they go to the ballot booth to vote, they fill it out, and fold it in some fancy way like origami to indicate that the vote-buying guy sent them. I guess somewhere down the line somebody is in a position to see the ballots and recognize the folding pattern. And of course I'm sure they're 100% honest in tallying them.
So this means the people tallying the polls are integral to the scheme?!?!?!?

It relies on trust that we'll all cheap honestly?!?!?!

Clientelismo es a sad reality, not only from Argentina but of the continent. They just take advantage of ignorant, poor people.

This said, if we see this as a sociological problem, we must say, that this is a simple and plain exchange of favours. This is politics, the real meaning of politics. I give you something but you give me this other thing. Quite simple. Is this the way democracy was planned in its origin? probably not, but everybody deserves to vote whoever they want, and if they chose to vote someone who gives them just a choripan for a vote, well, that means that nobody could offer more, so its better a choripan than nothing.

So this means the people tallying the polls are integral to the scheme?!?!?!?

Naaaah, you're right, it couldn't be. Things like that just don't happen in a civilized democracy. Although.... Al Gore might have a different opinion.

Back