how do other spanish speaking countries perceive argentine spanish?

I will say that I typed in-

"Vos sos un boludo."

Into Google's translation page and it responded-

"You're an idiot."

Make of it what you will.

Napoleon said:
I will say that I typed in-

"Vos sos un boludo."

Into Google's translation page and it responded-

"You're an idiot."

Make of it what you will.

Is that a translation or a comment?

I think it is a bit absurd for people to "rate" or "qualify" the Spanish spoken here or anywhere.....it's simply the way people speak. Period. No right or wrong way, just the way it is done. This of course is true for all languages. Who is to say what is correct? Language is communication, and if the message is received, the job is done, no matter anyone might think about the way it sounds.
This reminds me of the Argentine who heard my American English and made it clear it was incoorect, that British English was more correct. I quickly responded, tongue in cheek, that I thought Argentine Spanish was incoorect and Spanish from Spain was more correct. Certainly caught her off guard and made her think a moment!

i love slang... as en Essex man we have quite a few of our own words and phrases, so when i learnt Spanish here is Buenos Aires i was very pleased the learn the extensive 'lunfardo' vocabulary that exists here.
as rentaplus says - its about communication. You'll learn spanish here, you'll adapt it for other places, naturally. Last month i was in Barcelone, Rome and Venice... The Italians understand a slow neutral spanish and the Catalans thought it was hilarious to meet an Englishman talking in a dodgy Argentine manner.
Referencing rentaplus again - i can be a real snob when it comes to English and American English, but with North Americans that often leads to great banter and dark-humoured discussions.
Communicate first, however possible, perfect the language second.
And learn as much slang as possible from as many places as possible.

The Mexicans, in my opinion, a very pleasant people to be around because they talk with such chirpiness. they make me laugh because of their style, words and accents.

A final thought/question. Recently a Mexican and an Argentine were with me chatting about differences - i might be wrong on definitions here but 'cajete' in Argentina is a vulgar term for the female nether regions whilst in Mexico its a type of bread or jam or something. I thought that was great food for an interesting conversation...

I love aidahdz' response; so nice nasty! Anyway, I am not a native Spanish speaker, but I can tell the difference between Argentine (especially BA) Spanish and the language that is spoken elsewhere.

While I was visiting BA, I asked the hotel desk clerk for the "llave," and had to repeat myself several times before he understood that I meant "chave." It was then that I realized there is a marked difference. In fact, as many of you know, even in writing Argentine Spanish there can be a difference in spelling.

BTW, even though I don't speak Spanish all that much right now, I can often tell the region the Spanish-speaker is from, and when I was in Mexico I didn't find their speech to be as rapid-fire as some say.

Also, why can't there be an honest and intelligent discussion without the slurs?

A final thought/question. Recently a Mexican and an Argentine were with me chatting about differences - i might be wrong on definitions here but 'cajete' in Argentina is a vulgar term for the female nether regions whilst in Mexico its a type of bread or jam or something. I thought that was great food for an interesting conversation...[/quote]
As you said, CAJETA is slang for vagina in Argentina and a jam for Mexicans, so if you find here that cajeta is sweet, feel very lucky.

A research has shown that Rioplatense Spanish, and particularly the speech of the city of Buenos Aires, has intonation patterns that resemble those of Italian dialects, and differ markedly from the patterns of other Argentine forms of Spanish. This correlates well with immigration patterns. Argentina, and particularly Buenos Aires, had huge numbers of Italian settlers since the 19th century.
According to a study conducted by National Scientific and Technical Research Council of Argentina, and published in Bilingualism: Language and Cognition (ISSN 1366-7289), Buenos Aires residents speak with an intonation most closely resembling Neapolitan. The researchers note that this is relatively recent phenomenon, starting in the beginning of the 20th century with the main wave of Southern Italian immigration. Before that, the porteño accent was more similar to that of Spain, especially Andalusia.

Influences on the language

The Spaniards brought their language to the area during the Spanish colonization in the region. Originally part of the Viceroyalty of Peru, the Río de la Plata basin had its status lifted to Viceroyalty of the Río de la Plata in 1776.
Until the massive immigration to the region started in the 1870s, the language of the Río de la Plata had virtually no influence from other languages and varied mainly by the means of localisms.
Argentines and Uruguayans often state that their populations, like those of the United States and Canada, comprise people of relatively recent European descent, the largest immigrant groups being those who came from Spain and Italy.

European immigration

Several languages influenced the criollo Spanish of the time, because of the diversity of settlers and immigrants to Argentina and Uruguay:

1870–1890: mainly Spanish, Basque, Galician and Northern Italian speakers and some from France, Germany, and other European countries.

1910–1945: Again from Spain, Southern Italy and in smaller numbers from across Europe (Germany); Jewish immigration, mainly from Russia and Poland from the 1910s until after World War II was also large.

English speakers, from Britain and Ireland, were not as great in numbers as the Italians but were influential in industry, business, education and agriculture. In the case of the English immigrants, they were certainly influential within the upper middle class.

Back