How Do Wealthy Expats Live In Argentina

Johny said:
I never said that violent crime is limited to the rich. What I'm trying to say is the well-off in first world countries are not as affected by crime as the well-off in Argentina, and thus, live more peacefully and without fear.

Ok, I just mentioned because we were talking in this thread about how rich people live, getting kidnapped, etc.

I agree very much with your statement above.

“If you ask some Argentines, actually quite a scary percentage, they will plain tell you that it was all better under the Dictatorship, as at least then there wasn't crime (this is ridiculous reasoning, but I've heard it out of the mouths of many of the older generation).”

Maybe the also like to see the return of people disappearing again. I think this is very sad and narrow way of thinking to solve problems. Bring back dictatorships.

Bill

Back to the original question - depends what your definition of the good life is. I make substantially less than I did in NYC at the moment, yet my quality of life has improved dramatically and my buying power equally. But everyone's version of the good life is going to vary dramatically so you can't really quantify it.

Thanks for all the input.

I'm talking about what citygirl is, just a better lifestyle than one could enjoy in NYC. A nice, large apartment, household help but nothing flashy. Wondering if I would need to worry about my college aged kids being safe. And myself being safe as a single woman who would be alone some of the time.

How much do you have to spend? Might be easier approaching it from that direction...

I agree with citygirl. I earn a peso salary here and do the same job as back in the UK. This involved a big pay cut, but purchasing power has gone up and I live in a nicer flat in a nicer area and have a much better quality of life.

But for me good quaity of life involves eating out a lot, spending time with my friends, enjoying the city, the culture and this part of the world in general. Plenty of people seemed to have moved here shotly after the crash to cash in on a deflated economy, and have never stopped moaning that argentina isn't like the US in every respect. If regularly buying lots of high quality products is important you might find life miserable here. Electronic goods, clothes and high value goods of all kinds are generally a lot more expensive here than they are in the US or europe - often costing 2 to 3 times as much for last years models/styles. There's much less low cost mass produced goods and cheap foreign imports, so you have to adjust your price expectations accordingly. Personally I've found as a result I lost interest in having the latest tech because it wasn't valuable enough given the cost. No great loss.

I'd come over and see for yourself what your money buys you. If living the good life means owning the best of everything Argentina may not be the right place for you.

Well, I'll throw out what I'm thinking and everyone can have at it!

-Under half a million US dollars for a fabulous, large apartment.

-Significant household help for about $500USD/month.

-Under $2000/month for food, eating out, utilities and taxis.

-Ship over all electronics and things that are expensive in one container.

Tear it apart!

jb5 said:
Well, I'll throw out what I'm thinking and everyone can have at it!

-Under half a million US dollars for a fabulous, large apartment.

-Significant household help for about $500USD/month.

-Under $2000/month for food, eating out, utilities and taxis.

-Ship over all electronics and things that are expensive in one container.

Tear it apart!

Welcome to Buenos Aires!

I'm sorry but the more I hear from JB5 the more it sounds unreal. Sounds like the voice of the Buenos Aires Chamber of Commerce (if there is such an organization). Seems incredibly naive in one post then displays what seems to have resident knowledge in another.

Back