How do you get dollars in BA?

starlucia said:
See, I don't agree... sure, no way will the landlord be able to buy dollars at the official rate, but it's certainly not the tenant's responsibility to make up the difference. These landlords chose to get into the real estate game in a country with a notoriously unstable economy and volatile currency... so, while I'm sorry that their own government is now causing them a slight loss on their investment, it doesn't give them the right to overcharge/take advantage of foreigners.

You seem like a person who takes advantage of others . You sign a contract in dollars as a foreigner and you know the terms and conditions it is your responsibility to get dollars not the owners .

What about the millions of people who have signed contracts in foreign currencies for loans they make sure that they pay that rate or the real equivalent in the local currency .

I agree with Starlucia yet again. It's not about "taking advantage of anybody" as you seem to feel it is, it is about NOT being taken advantage of!
She is absolutely correct, why should the customer (the tenant) be the one who has to be inconvenienced by all the KILOMBO happening at this time in the argentine Economy with the government? It's a pain in the behind to have the price of your rent fluctuate month to month.
Secondly, I don't know what you mean by "contracts" as foreigners cannot enter into legally binding contracts in Argentina, so anything that you are lead to believe by whatever you may have signed is invalid. Hence the reason why foreigners usually have to do these shorter term rentals as standard rentals require the possibility of signing a 2 year contract as well as a garantia- I am not saying that's how everyone does it or that it's enforced.
Luckily for most of us, with the whole fiasco of Cristina being accused of hipocrasy for charging her hotel room rates in dollars, it will very soon become policy for all accommodations- including hotels and
Short term rentals, be priced in pesos. Much like the order a few years back requiring all food/beverage costs to be in pesos by law.
Can't wait.

YanquiGallego said:
Secondly, I don't know what you mean by "contracts" as foreigners cannot enter into legally binding contracts in Argentina, so anything that you are lead to believe by whatever you may have signed is invalid.

Says who...?

starlucia said:
See, I don't agree... sure, no way will the landlord be able to buy dollars at the official rate, but it's certainly not the tenant's responsibility to make up the difference. These landlords chose to get into the real estate game in a country with a notoriously unstable economy and volatile currency... so, while I'm sorry that their own government is now causing them a slight loss on their investment, it doesn't give them the right to overcharge/take advantage of foreigners.

I don't think many Argentine landlords care about foreigners' rights in Argentina anymore than they care about the rights of their fellow citizens.

Raymond said:
You seem like a person who takes advantage of others . You sign a contract in dollars as a foreigner and you know the terms and conditions it is your responsibility to get dollars not the owners .

What about the millions of people who have signed contracts in foreign currencies for loans they make sure that they pay that rate or the real equivalent in the local currency .

It's quite an unfair and ridiculous conclusion to make about StarLucia that she seems like someone who takes advantage of others. I could assume the same about you. This is a rental agreement, not a multi-million dollar business transaction. Obviously she would not have signed the contract had she understood she was going to end up paying way more than what she thought she was agreeing to at the time and based on the whims of an unofficial shadow market. It seems to me that, in this case, once an individual in good faith is no longer able to pay in dollars due to government imposed restrictions (not an unwillingness to pay), then really the contract is probably null and void. Unless the contract explicitly specified that, if unable to pay in dollars, she would be beholden to pay in pesos and based on black market rates as opposed to OFFICIAL rates, then your position on the matter seems unreasonable and unjustifiable.

Stop whining people. The 4.5 rate is not a real rate. No one can get it. If you signed a contract in dollars, either pay the dollars or pay the pesos at the 6:1 rate, which is the market rate.

To answer the poster's question... $800 USD and $4800 pesos is THE SAME. You are not being cheated one way or the other. It will cost you exactly the same to either pay in pesos or dollars. Sign the contract either in pesos or in dollars and then pay what you need to pay each month. If you ask me, I would rather sign in pesos. I'm sure that long term the peso is going to keep losing value.

Contract shmontract. I reiterate, in Argentina without a national form of ID, you cannot be held liable for any debts in Argentina including unpaid or dilinquent rent payments. This is why no company, bank, even cell phone provider will not allow foreigners to contract their services as a regular client.
Safer than a contract, is the security deposit that gives the landlord a "float" cushion of additional payment, and yes, if you do not pay they will probably put your things out on the street--- but the contract piece is totally irrelevant. There's no way they can take any legal repercussion because with a national ID, you are essentially no one in Argentina and cannot seize any thing of yours because more than likely you don't have any or are working en negro.

And no, I am not a ruthless snake who tries to cheat the system, I just think its important to be informed especially in a city with such corrupt business dealings.

Raymond said:

Recently others have posted that contracts in Argentina in dollars were not legal, but I have yet to see a definitve answer.

I must add that your personal attack against starlucia seems unwarranted. It certainly wasn't necessary for you say it to make your point.

Raymond said:

This seems to contradict the previous sentence, but I would be happy to learn more.

YanquiGallego said:
Contract shmontract. I reiterate, in Argentina without a national form of ID, you cannot be held liable for any debts in Argentina including unpaid or dilinquent rent payments. This is why no company, bank, even cell phone provider will not allow foreigners to contract their services as a regular client.
Safer than a contract, is the security deposit that gives the landlord a "float" cushion of additional payment, and yes, if you do not pay they will probably put your things out on the street--- but the contract piece is totally irrelevant. There's no way they can take any legal repercussion because with a national ID, you are essentially no one in Argentina and cannot seize any thing of yours because more than likely you don't have any or are working en negro.

And no, I am not a ruthless snake who tries to cheat the system, I just think its important to be informed especially in a city with such corrupt business dealings.

I think the word you might be looking for is "non-resident." There are many foreigners who are residents with DNIs and enter into contracts. I truly doubt that contracts with non-residents are illegal. It just might be more difficult to get a non-resident to comply legally with a contract if he/she chooses not do so.

YanquiGallego said:

Careful. A foreigner with a passport and a CDI can make any number of investments here, purchase property, enter into contracts, form a company (SA or SRL) etc. And you can be held responsable for anything you sign. The realistic limit of your responsibility is the amount of property you have within the borders of Argentina, however.

Back